Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey All From OZ

JBOZ

Hey i have been browsing the forum for a couple of days and i thought i would make an accout because i would like to make a good laser and need a guide...

I have an old computer and wondered if i would be able to harvest some of the parts for a laser?
I cant really spend much money on it, so could i make some parts like a heatsink ect,
with the parts from the computer will i be able to make a burning laser???

i would like a strong laser that isnt expensive... so please send a link or a diagram...

Thanks in advance!:thanks:

hey man
im oz too
the dvd burner is the only one i can think of that you can get out of the comp.
let me know if you want a red or blu ray module

JBOZ

hey man
im oz too
the dvd burner is the only one i can think of that you can get out of the comp.
let me know if you want a red or blu ray module

thanks heaps!... umm which one is better? and its a pretty old computer so i dont think that it has bluray...:thanks:

Hey I'm from oz too!

Umm I guess if you are interested in a lab style laser you could use the heat sink, DVD drive and possibly the power supply.. btw how much are you willing to spend?

How confident are you with, soldering, voltage, current etc.. If you are quite confident I can give you a guide on how to utilise each part to make the system (from the pc), otherwise I can point you in the right direction, in order to buy semi finished laser (because you can't import handheld lasers over 1mw!).

You can check out my work in my signature where it says review here (down the bottom of this post!). I also have msn, so I can help you out almost 24/7 pm me if you want any more info!

-Adrian

JBOZ

Hey mate,
I dont really want to spend over around $50,
I am pretty confident with soldering, however i dont know very much about voltage, current ect.
I had a look at your link it looked like a pretty easy build.
About how much would it cost? if i used my parts also?

Thanks SO Much!

thanks heaps!... umm which one is better? and its a pretty old computer so i dont think that it has bluray...:thanks:
as long as its not a cd burner/player
dvd = red
blu ray = violet

well your looking at

$18 for the host.. (or if you use the cpu heat sink its free!!)
$27 preset driver..
approx $10 for batteries and charger.. (if you use the pc power supply its free!!)
$3 for aixiz module...
diode FREE!! (assuming you are going to use the red diode)

you better read up more about your type of diode and what current it needs.. you also should read about the general tips and tricks in the stickies.. check these out!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/compiled-list-tutorials-36820.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/pro-tips-w-spyderz20x6-building-your-first-diy-laser-40157.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/meta-topic-pinout-performance-actual-ld-26417.html

if theres a link or part im missing please correct me guys..

im going to have a shower now cya for now! -Adrian

Last edited:

JBOZ

hey if i wanted to make 1 in a flashlight what parts would i need and how much do they cost??

Hey mate and welcome!

The cheapest build I can think of is a red build which is quite freaking nice.

Although a tad complicated, should go fine as long as you follow this tutorial: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-my-pocket-pal-blu-ray-laser-36799.html

Parts as below:

Host DX SKU #46 - DealExtreme: $2.95 Compact 9 LEDs Flashlight - $2.95
SKU #46 Heatsink from Jayrob - $23
Red Diode in Aixiz - Welcome - $17.50
Lavadrive http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php - $23
A couple of CR123 Batteries - $5-$10

i gave you all the info above!!

well your looking at

$18 for the host.. (or if you use the cpu heat sink its free!!)
$27 preset driver..
approx $10 for batteries and charger.. (if you use the pc power supply its free!!)
$3 for aixiz module...
diode FREE!! (assuming you are going to use the red diode)

you better read up more about your type of diode and what current it needs.. you also should read about the general tips and tricks in the stickies.. check these out!

Compiled list of Tutorials

Pro Tips w/ Spyderz20x6: Building your first DIY Laser!

Meta Topic : Pinout & Performance of actual LD

if theres a link or part im missing please correct me guys..

im going to have a shower now cya for now! -Adrian

JBOZ

Ok how would i build the laser using the diode, and power supply out of the computer and possibly the heatsink?

Thanks!!!

well.. the computers power suply gives out 5.5v! (others are just 5v!). the diver can handle up to 5.5 volts.. but you got to check the output current.. im not 100% sure at the moments how to drop the current down for use for the driver! but i think i can think something up! you then press the diode into the aixiz module then connect the driver to the diode! thats about it.. then once thats done you can drill a 12mm hole in the heatsink and slip the module into the heat sink!

any more info pm me or give me ur msn and i'll try help you out! -Adrian

JBOZ

Oh and one more thing... can you actually make a module?
And how can i easily get the diode out of its surronding
'
Thanks-JB

Last edited:
Well the module is only $3 not worth the trouble of making one.. and you basically snap the current heatsink off by twisting the two sides of the heatsink in oppersite directions!

-Adrian