Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Here is a little tip for anyone with a "303" type laser with lens problems

The cheap "303" type lasers are all over ebay but they have barely acceptable plastic lenses and if you make the mistake of even looking at them sideways you've already damaged them, But this is how you can replace them with glass for pretty cheap...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-Frame-B...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The "303" type lasers use a oddball size M8 lens threading which is not all that easy to find, I hope this can help anyone with "303" laser lens woes...

Re: Here is a little tip for anyone with a "303" type laser with lens problems

Usually the Gradient index lens is glued on top of the crystal holder and the focus lens is placed into the threaded barrel. It is a tiny beam expander because what comes out of the crystal is needle thin but diverges faster.

I assume the glass pair go together so you will need to remove the concave lens or gradient index lens and glue on the new one to work with the new glass lens, any misalignment can be a problem.

Something I do is to use a bigger longer FL lens in a tube and slide to focus without removing the factory concave/GRIN lens, just the final focus lens, you can get a really tight dot in the far field.

NOTE: If your module has an IR filter and you choose to omit it you do so at your own risk, although many don't have one some do and IR leakage can vary.

450px-Green_laser_pointer_internal.gif

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

The "303" laser do use acrylic lenses, but since they are mostly below 100 mW or in red maybe 175 mW, there is no good reason to replace them unless you scratch them or use a solvent that destroys them. I have "303s" that still work fine from years ago and I keep them in an air tight bag and boxed to prevent anything happening to the lenses. Those glass lenses are almost the price of a new "303" laser. I have used acrylic lenses on many builds up to 300 mW with no problems at all. If I had a high powered 532nm laser that was over 500 mW and happened to have acrylic lenses, I might consider replacing them, but not in a "303".

i agree with paul,the cost of the lens you posted is similar to the cost to buy a new laser,i would't bother to try to remove the lens as some are have strong glue on the threadings

Last edited:

Hi
I’m amazed at how many 303 threads are developing with lens issues

Rich:)

Last edited:

GSS

Agreed,
They all seem to be after someone tries cleaning the lens?, trying to get the almighty dot and not understanding that all dots have some type of splash.. or by being taken apart just from curiousity?
There not much of a burner so I can't see residue being an issue?
Trolls or spammers?

Last edited:

HI GSS,
Yes you are correct the only upgrade i would do to a 303 is replace that dull host , or machine really cool sink for it or change the host and machine a cool sink and fake non focusable adapter so it doesn't look like cyclops .

Rich:)

ThatOneDude001648

Hey, I wanted to ask what could’ve caused laser to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.BC003034-5C54-4B67-9677-4192F4CC0A65.jpeg

GSS

Other than the thin wide artifact, the spot looks good. Could be a dust in the corners where the lens meets the barrel.
I would leave it be..

That is very unusual as the splash is not concentric with the beam profile. The spot looks very good.......Gaussian. I would look into masking the beam as that should eliminate any splash you are getting from reflections behind the lens.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I wonder if the laser was held at an angle to that surface, that may be why the splash isn't concentric with the dot?

I had thought of that, but the spot is sure round. That seems to indicate it wasn't.

Reactions: GSS
Possibly a reflection from the walls post lens inside the units adjuster end, also the spot looks off center which could be a factor, really need to see more pics.......could try changing the lens or removing the adjuster end containing the lens and trade out with another sister unit to rule out the lens......is the ring there all the time or just at that focus/distance ?

Reactions: GSS