Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HeNe tubes

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
Will this power supply work? And do I just have to plug it in and turn it on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252724223158

Also, if it does work, will it work on that 6mw or the 4.3mw? This sale looks like the simplest option for a cheap gas laser.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 16589

Will this power supply work? And do I just have to plug it in and turn it on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252724223158

Also, if it does work, will it work on that 6mw or the 4.3mw? This sale looks like the simplest option for a cheap gas laser.

Ask Kaiser I'm not really sure I no longer have any PSU's but you will also need an Alden cable with clips and a ballast resistor. I'm still trying to get some.

Ask Kaiser I'm not really sure I no longer have any PSU's but you will also need an Alden cable with clips and a ballast resistor. I'm still trying to get some.

Okay so it looks like there is already an Alden clip like adapter on that power supply so will I still need to buy some?

Also what is a ballast resistor? As I have no idea and I can't find anything while searching eBay.

I'm not very experienced here and I'm still learning some. Thanks for being patient:p

diachi

Okay so it looks like there is already an Alden clip like adapter on that power supply so will I still need to buy some?

Also what is a ballast resistor? As I have no idea and I can't find anything while searching eBay.

I'm not very experienced here and I'm still learning some. Thanks for being patient:p

You'll need a connector on the tube end to hook it up to the power supply, that or you can splice the cables, but better to have the connector.

The ballast resistor is just a regular resistor, you need that on the anode of the tube because HeNe tubes have negative resistance. The ballast resistor offsets that. 75Kohm is typical, at the correct power rating of course.

You'll need a connector on the tube end to hook it up to the power supply, that or you can splice the cables, but better to have the connector.

The ballast resistor is just a regular resistor, you need that on the anode of the tube because HeNe tubes have negative resistance. The ballast resistor offsets that. 75Kohm is typical, at the correct power rating of course.

Ah okay I'll grab a pair of cables then. So I can make the resistor myself? I have some that I could use if that's the case. Or do you have somewhere you reccommend that I get one? I'm going through the gas lasers section right now looking up info on how these get powered so hopefully I can figure this out.

diachi

Ah okay I'll grab a pair of cables then. So I can make the resistor myself? I have some that I could use if that's the case. Or do you have somewhere you reccommend that I get one? I'm going through the gas lasers section right now looking up info on how these get powered so hopefully I can figure this out.

You'll need to buy a resistor, I doubt you have a 75-85k 10W resistor lying around.

Lazerman should be able to advise of the exact resistance/wattage you need, depending on what tube you go for. Then just a matter of buying one.

D

Deleted member 16589

You'll need to buy a resistor, I doubt you have a 75-85k 10W resistor lying around.

Lazerman should be able to advise of the exact resistance/wattage you need, depending on what tube you go for. Then just a matter of buying one.

kaiser would be the better one to ask but im working on getting some cabled and clips

I have cables and clips if anyone needs them. :) it looks like ill have to post a tutorial. I've been meaning to do that for a while. In fact if you guys want I'll do posts on the history of all the different gas lasers... I get a lot of questions on why they're so expensive and stuff. Maybe I can take some time to explain just how much work goes into these

diachi

I have cables and clips if anyone needs them. :) it looks like ill have to post a tutorial. I've been meaning to do that for a while. In fact if you guys want I'll do posts on the history of all the different gas lasers... I get a lot of questions on why they're so expensive and stuff. Maybe I can take some time to explain just how much work goes into these

I think a guide like that would be great! Good idea, I'll look forward to seeing that. :)

I would love to see that! The only thing stopping me from buying a gas laser is that it's hard to learn how to do it:p

I look forward to your guide :D

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
BUMP:

Make that 3 tubes still available. I just snagged the 4.3 :cool:

diachi

Zach,

How much would shipping be on the 6mW to Canada? Can PM or Skype me back if you prefer.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Tube arrived Saturday in good working order. :D Thanks lazerman. I'll post a photo when I get a better ballast resistor. 33k is not enough, so I don't wanna run it for more than a second, but it does make bright red dot on the wall so...Happy Customer.

diachi

Tube arrived Saturday in good working order. :D Thanks lazerman. I'll post a photo when I get a better ballast resistor. 33k is not enough, so I don't wanna run it for more than a second, but it does make bright red dot on the wall so...Happy Customer.

Wizard, I bought the 6mW. What power supply do you have?