Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with Wicked artic s3 2W

Whenever I put it on high mode it works a little then shuts off and the 3 leds blink . only way to turn it back on is to power off and back on.
The battery says its fully charged. Could iy be a bad battery or something else?

Is it possible the battery cant handle the draw?

Also what is the best battery to buy for this laser?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

BobMc

Sorry to say but WL’s are unfortunately notoriously hard to get into for repairs. You might be better off just buying a new laser. Go for just about anything but a WL, and you’ll be better off. Also as a new member you might want to make a welcome thread in the welcome section and tell us a little bit about yourself. It makes it easier to offer assistance. And welcome. :wave:

Last edited:
Sorry to say but WL’s are unfortunately notoriously hard to get into for repairs.
Legend has it, somebody once managed to take a Spyder 3 host apart...

Seriously though, I remember one post long ago, problem is most stuff is glued in, so you gotta use hot air gun on it, and the heatsink with the diode in it is threaded in, which makes it probable you'll twist and break the wire leads to the diode while unscrewing that.

@OP, your best bet is to go with warranty if it's still valid. As far as I remember it, WL honored warranties pretty OK, but I'm a bit out of the loop these days so it might be outdated info.

BobMc

Legend has it, somebody once managed to take a Spyder 3 host apart...

Seriously though, I remember one post long ago, problem is most stuff is glued in, so you gotta use hot air gun on it, and the heatsink with the diode in it is threaded in, which makes it probable you'll twist and break the wire leads to the diode while unscrewing that.

@OP, your best bet is to go with warranty if it's still valid. As far as I remember it, WL honored warranties pretty OK, but I'm a bit out of the loop these days so it might be outdated info.

I purchased a lot of about 50 broken WL's off ebay awhile back. After some trial and error I figured how to get into them. The S3's were the toughest. Heat and brute strength did the trick, but with a tendency to scratch the host. You need to unsolder the diode wires from the driver before you unscrew the diode and module. Got a bunch of parts, and did get a dozen of them up and running. But had a bunch of fun learning. :)

I purchased a lot of about 50 broken WL's off ebay awhile back. After some trial and error I figured how to get into them. The S3's were the toughest. Heat and brute strength did the trick, but with a tendency to scratch the host. You need to unsolder the diode wires from the driver before you unscrew the diode and module. Got a bunch of parts, and did get a dozen of them up and running. But had a bunch of fun learning. :)
Sweet. Any particular Spyder 3 builds you're proud of? Got a thread on that?

BobMc

Sweet. Any particular Spyder 3 builds you're proud of? Got a thread on that?

No sorry, I didn’t take any pictures of the disassembly. Or my trials and swapping of parts. But I do have a box of spare parts! :). All but three of my WL’s in my “Museum” thread, are the ones I got up and running.

Last edited:
Yeah, warranty is probably your best bet because if it's still valid; and you try to tamper with it, it will invalidate it. Maybe query WL and see what they can do. If you're buying a new laser, don't get a WL one :wave: