Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with greenie ?

Hey guys, so I just got my new O-like 200mW module in the mail today. I excitedly opened the package and found the green module inside. I trimmed the barrel and shortened the spring and put it into the host. I powered it on and although there was a dot in the middle there was this unusual pattern around it and it was semi cool but I soon realized "Oh man I just paid 135 for a defective module ! I MUST save it !" Anyways I gathered all the patience I had and found some small pliers. I put the module in the vice grip softly enough not do damage it but firmly enough to hold it in place and I managed to get the lens out. I was very excited and cleaned the lens with a microfiber glasses cleaner cloth screwed it back on and BAM once again .... this time I took it all apart and cleaned the outer most lens right in from of the crystal (OC lens?). But either way I put it back on fired it up again and was saddened by the imperfection I saw on my wall :(

Here are some pics I took. Personally I think it must be something wrong with the crystals broken cracked or something like that because no matter what I clean it still remains therefore the problem has to be something deeper...
Here are some pics I took of the pattern on the wall.

Any guesses ???

This first one is actually uncollimated
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg

Grix

If it's defective you can ask susie for a refund if you send the laser back, but I'm not sure if she'll agree since you tampered with it. Did you try soaking the cloth in alcohol before cleaning the lens? Dry cloth often don't clean the lens thoroughly

Unfortunately I already shortened the spring and soldered a different end on so with that I highly doubt that I'm still in "warranty" .... and no I have not tried alcohol but I will try.. Thanks for the info

I was gonna say to send it back for a replacement / refund, but since you have already modified / tampered with it, It's highly doubtful that anything like that will happen. However, IF you were to THOROUGHLY EXPLAIN to SUSIE that you got it that way & your attempts to fix the problem on your own were to avoid wasting additional time & money, she just MIGHT replace the module for you. It's worth a try, all she can say is NO. Send her an Email 1st & see what she says. rob

I actually think I'm just going to try and fix it myself.I don't really want to go through the whole begging and pleading process then have to wait weeks for it to get there and even longer for them to send a new one if they do at all. I think it might be something on the diode window or the back of the KTP or YVO4 crystal. Either that or it's just broken or cracked. But I do have a old 10mW module that has the same crystal so I might just try to swap those out because it's still mounted on the metal with glue. So I could outline the first one on there now , take it off, then put the other in the same place fire it up and see if it works or the pattern is gone/different. If it's not it's the diode and I'll go from there..

Sam UK

Dont know much about lasers, but i have a suggestion. could this be imperfections in the glass surface ? e.g not smooth or something ?