Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with dogs and cats around lasers

cb19

I have a 5mw green Laserglow Lyra. I have one dog and a cat. I have never really played around with them and my laser because i dont want to hurt there vision. So i was just wondering> What mW laser pointer is safe with dogs and cats? If i were to shine it on a shiny surface such as my tile floor and it were to bounce back up and hit them in the eye would this effect their vision at all? Im just a little conserned and dont want to hurt my animals vision.
Thanks,
cb19

Lolvo

My cat loves my 532 5mW and one of my dogs has no interest, the other is a bit frightened by the green light coming from nowhere. None of my animals have been negatively affected by it, that does not mean I go shining it in their eyes. You ought to be just fine.

cb19

So this means i do need to wear goggles for my laserglow lyra? or was that a joke?

cb19

Hahahaha ok I just want to make sure I don't have to wear goggles. And if I were to get a 5mw blur laser would I need goggles for that? Or do you not need goggles for any color laser?

As long as your 5mw or under your fine. But remember some lasers that are supposed to be 5mw are not they are much higher, so be careful.

Last edited:

cb19

So a blue 5mw is safe with out glasses? And u got my laser from laserglow so it's for sure 5mw not higher right?

Yes, for your cat, dog and you.

dogparkinglasses.jpg

They are tested to be 1-5mW, so it's fine for having your pets chase the dot, although obviously don't EVER shine a laser into anyone's eyes on purpose.

cb19

So they can't be above 5mW? I just want to make sure I don't have an overpowered laser.