Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with buying a burning laser.

Hey guys i'm new to this site so bare with me. :)

I've always wanted a burning laser to enjoy. But i have fear of Australia customs taking it away, me getting into trouble and wasting my money.

So I need you opinion on what to get. I have $43.10 in my debit card.

I did a search "burning laser" on eBay and i see some cool results except i don't really have trust in the sellers.
burning laser | eBay

On laserpointerpro.com they are having a discount on lasers, i'm not looking to go over 200mW.

On dx.com 2 laser modules caught my eye.
100mW 405nm Blue-Violet/Royal Purple Laser Module (3V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
100mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

If there's any other sites or if there's some good stuff here i'd be happy to know about it! :thanks:

Last edited:

Forget about 808 nm because you can't see that ( infra red )
The DX lasers burn when focused to a tiny spot but they also burned out after 1 day of playing caus eof heat dissapate problems.

SKeeZ

I'd go for the second module! you may be over budget after you complete the build (Host & batteries).
Green is also very close to the most visible wavelength (555nm).
405 is far from 555 and is considered UV.
your gonna have much more fun with the 532nm module.

Last edited:
I'd go for the second module! you may be over budget after you complete the build (Host & batteries).
Green is also very close to the most visible wavelength (555nm).
405 is far from 555 and is considered UV.
your gonna have much more fun with the 532nm module.

Forget about 808 nm because you can't see that ( infra red )
The DX lasers burn when focused to a tiny spot but they also burned out after 1 day of playing caus eof heat dissapate problems.

Alright, thanks for the help guys.

What host do i get for this laser module? SKeeZ

Also what do you think i should get rather than the laser module? weeba2kv

Last edited:

SKeeZ

it depends, do you want a pen? or a flashlight host?

SKeeZ

builds in pens are very dificult, and you would probably get short run times but they are probably cheaper. and a flashlight host requires a heatsink wich could run you in total (without module) around $18 if you are comfortable soldering and are not afraid to attack a pen host i can set you up for a good one. if you can extend your budget a tad bit, i can give you a list for a flashlight host.

Last edited:

SKeeZ

i personally would go with a flashlight. it give better heatsinking, better duty cycle (run times), and they are easy to build.

It may cost a little more but its worth it. Are you Ok with soldering?

Last edited:
I'm sorta okay with soldering but depends on what and how much i need to solder. :)

NO4H99

I'd suggest a fasttech over dx module. Cheaper, higher power (although advertised lower) and less ir content as a percentage (for a 532). I've also personally found that fasttech shipping is faster and their modules last longer. Both the dx 100mw and the fast tech 5mw will probably be about 70ish including ir.

I'd suggest a fasttech over dx module. Cheaper, higher power (although advertised lower) and less ir content as a percentage (for a 532). I've also personally found that fasttech shipping is faster and their modules last longer. Both the dx 100mw and the fast tech 5mw will probably be about 70ish including ir.

Thanks for that! I will have a look. :)

SKeeZ

if your down with the flashlight:

C6 Heat Sink $7.99
C6 Host $10.90
Contact board $4
Module of your choice

Total:
$28.28(Fasttech green 5mW) +shipping
$40.20 (DX purple module) +shipping
$50.40 (DX green module) +shipping

I do not have experience with the fasttech 3V 5mW module but i would not guess that it could burn.

Last edited: