Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with 405nm PHR-803T *PICS*

I built a laser driver with a lm317 voltage regulator and 10ohm resistor so it should put out about 125ma. im also using a 1n4001 diode and a 16v capaciter. I built it from instructions here.
Laser driver - It can be done
the laser was working but could barely smoke black plastic when focused and now it barely shows up. Can somebody please help me out this is my first laser build. Im using two 3.7v li-ion rechargabe batteries. Ill post pics later

2010-11-14_18-35-53_424.jpg

2010-11-14_18-36-08_202.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:

Your build looks good to me. I just built a 6x BR and am running into the same issue. My 445 blue will punch through the piece of plastic almost instantly (it's ~1.2W) where the 6x is about 110mW and took a good 30 seconds. I'm wondering if the acrylic lens is the problem.

it has gotton dimmer since i first built it about a week ago and i have recharged the batteries

udanis

Look at all those hobby parts!!! I work at a hobby store....lets see. Traxxas sticker and micro deans connectors :p

Did you test the output current of the driver?

Ok it's not the acrylic lens. I was messing with mine and it'll ignites matches in under a second and punch through my test plastic in about 5 now. I am using a different diode but for me the trick was to set the focus so at about 10 feet the dot was probably 3-4" which made the "sweet spot" of the beam about 3 feet in front of the lens. Obviously it'll be different for each laser but I hope that helps!

Edit: If it's getting dimmer even after a recharge that sounds like the diode may be damaged unfortunately. I would test the driver output with a test load to make sure it's operating correctly. If it is make sure you don't have any shorts especially at the diode where it's easy to bridge pin to pin or pin to case.

Last edited:
judging by your pix and by your description, i would say your phr is working perfectly. it is a low powered laser diode. you are probably less than 100mw. you can't compare it to the new 1watters that are out.

michael

since this diode might be dieing what is a good diode to burn stuff at a low price color doesnt matter

Cheech

i don't have links but go to the b/s/t section and look around a bit. it is a pretty common sled. also you might want to send member scopeguy20 a pm.

michael.

Quick question. Did you remember to short out the cap before attaching the diode? It sounds like your diode may have taken a power spike. One of the 635 reds I bought took a spike from a short and barely lases now.

I've bought a bunch of diodes 4x635, 2 PHR sleds, 1LPC 815 sled, a pre extracted 6x AF-SW210, and some other stuff from Modwerx Shop. They're a good company to buy from IME. If you've never extracted a diode from a sled check out the various videos on extracting diodes. The PHR is simple if you have 2 pairs of pliers. The LPC requires a file or fine tooth metal hand saw and a bit of intestinal fortitude since it's an open can diode. I personally wouldn't power an LPC with a LM317 based driver though. From what I recall reading extracting the SF-AW210 from its heatsink can be a chore so I paid the extra couple bucks to get one that was all ready to be pressed.

i'm going to quote myself here. it seems that op has not read it. LoL.

judging by your pix and by your description, i would say your phr is working perfectly. it is a low powered laser diode. you are probably less than 100mw. you can't compare it to the new 1watters that are out.

michael