Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with 1st diy blu ray

Ok so i bought a used 360 hd dvd drive and after tearing it apart i found it had the DT811 diode in it. :-/ But i want to make use of it anyways because if i fry it, at least i didnt fry a good one ;)... I just want to know your opinion on the mA i should use. i was gonna go on the range of 80-90 but not too sure if that would fry it. I tried finding the range these particular diodes max out at but either is not there, or havent read it yet (most likely) :p So i was hoping i could get some advice on the max current i should use without considerably reducing the lifetime of the diode. Im willing to do it rite and get a good heatsink and housing, so if it does fry i can always use it again with a different micro driver and a more powerful diode. My goal here is to see the beam. And i read the posts that talk about the wavelength differences between each individual diode. so lets just say its rite at 405nm. PLease Help!!....

daguin

deam_87 said:
Ok so i bought a used 360 hd dvd drive and after tearing it apart i found it had the DT811 diode in it. :-/ But i want to make use of it anyways because if i fry it, at least i didnt fry a good one ;)... I just want to know your opinion on the mA i should use. i was gonna go on the range of 80-90 but not too sure if that would fry it. I tried finding the range these particular diodes max out at but either is not there, or havent read it yet (most likely) :p So i was hoping i could get some advice on the max current i should use without considerably reducing the lifetime of the diode. Im willing to do it rite and get a good heatsink and housing, so if it does fry i can always use it again with a different micro driver and a more powerful diode. My goal here is to see the beam. And i read the posts that talk about the wavelength differences between each individual diode. so lets just say its rite at 405nm. PLease Help!!....

There's not a thing wrong with the DT-0811 diode. One of my pointers on my desk is built with one. You can safely drive the diode up to around 130mA. That will give you around 90-100mW after AiziX acrylic. The pinout is the same as the PHR diode so it is good practice as well.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=deam_87 link=1224132970/0#0 date=1224132970]Ok so i bought a used 360 hd dvd drive and after tearing it apart i found it had the DT811 diode in it. :-/ But i want to make use of it anyways because if i fry it, at least i didnt fry a good one ;)... I just want to know your opinion on the mA i should use. i was gonna go on the range of 80-90 but not too sure if that would fry it. I tried finding the range these particular diodes max out at but either is not there, or havent read it yet (most likely) :p So i was hoping i could get some advice on the max current i should use without considerably reducing the lifetime of the diode. Im willing to do it rite and get a good heatsink and housing, so if it does fry i can always use it again with a different micro driver and a more powerful diode. My goal here is to see the beam. And i read the posts that talk about the wavelength differences between each individual diode. so lets just say its rite at 405nm. PLease Help!!....

There's not a thing wrong with the DT-0811 diode. One of my pointers on my desk is built with one. You can safely drive the diode up to around 130mA. That will give you around 90-100mW after AiziX acrylic. The pinout is the same as the PHR diode so it is good practice as well.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Yep. :cool:

--hydro15

Really???? :eek: after all i read here i thought that the DT-811 could not handle that much current!! wow then i guess the range i was going to put in would be ok! :D. Just one more question though... You specifically stated "AiziX acrylic" should i go with that or a glass lense, since again i am trying to make a visible beam. Last thing i read here was that the acrrylic put out more power but the glass showed a clearer beam??? ((How does that work??)) :-? :-?

Ace82

Here's my 2 cents:

The diodes were built to push 60mW with no problems, technically you could leave it on at that power FOREVER and it should NEVER DIE!  :eek: Well for a REALLY long time that is.   ;D  And the amount of use my lasers get (I get pretty bored without them ;D) my blu-rays set over 100mW ALWAYS die.  That's not because I let it overheat, it's just because I simply turn it off and on WAY too many times!  SO FAR, I've built 4 blu-rays, 2 at 70mW and 2 at 80mW and all 4 are doing great after a few weeks of use.   My 100mW+ lasers usually last a week, if I'm lucky.   :-[   HOWEVER, when I get my 6x LD...now that's a different story, I'm going to push it hopefully around 150mW, and it should last forever too!  :D

Good luck with your build.  Welcome to the forums btw, and if you need anymore help and can't find it here, well, the world will end.  ;)

Edit: I forgot to add that the Aixiz acryic lens are great IMO!

803-t ---i have  different outcomes with these one I built at 100 ma sold it to a friend pops balloons powerfull unit then theres the one i built in a dx host wow its at 130 ma and boy is it bright its my personall unit
ok the i built another from a cni host at 130 ma brighter than the 100 ma but not even close to my dx unit --ok then i put togather a 180 ma one for a friend its really bright but not as bright as my dx
this is the same one i accidently left on in my pocket the otherday for hours -- button got smashed and stuck on i'll post actuall power readings when i get a chance -i mean when my two meters i bought come home to daddy  :eek: :eek:

Thanks a lot guys!! im not sure when im gonna start (too much homework) but when i do ill post some pics of the progress!! :cool:

Switch

deam_87 said:
Thanks a lot guys!! im not sure when im gonna start (too much homework) but when i do ill post some pics of the progress!!  :cool:
Just don't post before you do begin. Some people have started threads about various builds or buys then never got around to actually post about it.And it gets kinda annoying to read "30W Greenie diy" or "1000mW blue laser review" and then find out that there's nothing about it in the thread. :p

[/quote]Just don't post before you do begin. Some people have started threads about various builds or buys then never got around to actually post about it.And it gets kinda annoying to read "30W Greenie diy" or "1000mW blue laser review" and then find out that there's nothing about it in the thread. :p[/quote]

got cha! i just ordered all my parts so i'm definitely doing this. I got the full range adjustable driver, the dorcy jr housing (along with the custom made heatsink) a driver test load kit.. oh and the Aixiz housing so im sticking with acrylic. I'll start as soon as i get the parts and will post pics... thanks again guys.