Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help with 16X 405 bdr-209 diode driver

After my first green build, I want to build a driver for a 405 bdr-209 diode. I saw driver circuits for blu rays on this forum that consisted of an lm317, a capacitor, and resistors, but they are for lower power diodes. I have a 7805 but I can get a lm317 instead if its necessary. I would appreciate any help. :beer:

Hi,
I built a few 209 Blu ray I'm not familiar with the driver your discussing .
But if this helps i use a Lazeerer X Boost driver set to 650mA And LPM's at around 880mW's in a host with good heat sinking. Here are a few pics of the finished build. This is a Brass host made by Ehgumus it takes 1-14500 cell

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for replying. Im just referring to drivers that use a lm317, a few resistors, and a capacitor, not a specific driver. I considered buying a driver but I want to build one so I can get a better understanding of it's inner workings. Nice host btw.

I have not used a linear on a 405 in a long time, 405's are very static sensitive and not cheap, so I buy a good boost driver and enclose it in my build.

317c4_zpsvoxswpsy.png

This one I built a long time ago, it worked great until I touched my terminal at some point and it went led, also you have to use a silicon isolator to heat sink your 317, a linear is wasteful, just not worth it for a 405 in my opinion.

405linearnotworthit2_zpsnvpd4hdy.jpg

notworthit405lineardriver_zpscwuiusbu.jpg

If you want to play with one get a cheap 660nm diode, I wouldn't waste a BDR-209, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Hi,
Red is correct the 209's aren't cheap if it blow's well money down the drain. A cheaper red diode won't hurt as much. I do give you a lot of credit for wanting to build your own. Good luck with your build.

Rich:)

I have not used a linear on a 405 in a long time, 405's are very static sensitive and not cheap, so I buy a good boost driver and enclose it in my build.

317c4_zpsvoxswpsy.png

This one I built a long time ago, it worked great until I touched my terminal at some point and it went led, also you have to use a silicon isolator to heat sink your 317, a linear is wasteful, just not worth it for a 405 in my opinion.

405linearnotworthit2_zpsnvpd4hdy.jpg

notworthit405lineardriver_zpscwuiusbu.jpg

If you want to play with one get a cheap 660nm diode, I wouldn't waste a BDR-209, but that's just me.

Il take your word and save the homemade driver for a cheaper, lower power diode. In my blu ray build, I was also thinking of having a 555timer circuit and a switch to toggle between a solid beam and a blinking beam. :thinking:

Hi,
Red is correct the 209's aren't cheap if it blow's well money down the drain. A cheaper red diode won't hurt as much. I do give you a lot of credit for wanting to build your own. Good luck with your build.

Rich:)

Thanks. Hopefully I can post it when its done, but I don't know how long that will be.

The BDR-209 is made to modulate rapidly to write on disc, but not at the power levels we push them, if you were to stay south of 501mw say 500mw or less you could probably get away with it, but I don't know if the factory disc burners driver hits the diode with a square wave or not, as fast as they have to modulate you would think it would have to be pretty abrupt, however it could have a sloped on and an instant off, and it could even keep the diode just above threshold when burning and flash it up to write, I know you wouldn't want to pulse it square wave at 800 or more mw output, I think it would shorten it's life drastically.

Were you thinking you could pulse it and get a higher power level, say over 1 watt?
I think you would need to control the wave form and the pulse width, I know they write as tight as possible on the disc, but again the diode is pulsed at I'm guessing half a watt?

Now some of the different drivers have a place for a 5v tll to pulse the diode and I would expect the driver would protect the diode by design.
I don't design the drivers we use, but someone else could give you the info you need, it would be cool if we could pulse the 405 over 1w, but from what I have read I don't think they will take it, but I could be wrong.

Boost driver
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/flexdrives/x-boost

Buck driver
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/flexdrives/x-drive

The NDB7875 is a tough diode and it has static protection, just depends on what you are wanting to do.

Last edited:
Were you thinking you could pulse it and get a higher power level, say over 1 watt?
I think you would need to control the wave form and the pulse width, I know they write as tight as possible on the disc, but again the diode is pulsed at I'm guessing half a watt?

I wanted to pulse it, then feed the pulsed signal into a 600ma driver, so output should be around 900mw give or take. I do not know what they output when they are inside the burner, or what wave they are modulated with.

Pman

The bdr-209 and I are enemies.... (blew too many trying to hit 1W). The one common wavelength I would really like to see in a multi watt diode I get the feeling will never happen. My guess is 16x is likely to be the highest output anyone will make just because whats the need for something stronger.

why pulsed? just curious.

The bdr-209 and I are enemies.... (blew too many trying to hit 1W). The one common wavelength I would really like to see in a multi watt diode I get the feeling will never happen. My guess is 16x is likely to be the highest output anyone will make just because whats the need for something stronger.

I've gone through a few as well, and I even deliberately drive them lower than I see many others, in an effort to make it last longer. right now actually I'm replacing one. turning the current to .5A this time. I try to overdrive by 20% or so but with no data sheet I suspect we are all exceeding that by much more with this particular diode, and as noted constant rather than pulsed current. probably why some of us are burning them out. doesnt help that it's like my favorite wavelength and gets more use than my other lasers, illuminating my dream catchers and such. I'm with you pman, I'd trade 7W of 445 for 405 if I could. might look into a combined diode build sometime. 1W would be great but with the risk of burning it out I think 800mW or so will have to do me. it would be nice if all the wavelngths were available in as many options as 445-450nm has

880mW with .65A in is not very good for this diode there redcowboy unless you're talking 3 element lens

why pulsed? just curious.

I've gone through a few as well, and I even deliberately drive them lower than I see many others, in an effort to make it last longer. right now actually I'm replacing one. turning the current to .5A this time. I try to overdrive by 20% or so but with no data sheet I suspect we are all exceeding that by much more with this particular diode, and as noted constant rather than pulsed current. probably why some of us are burning them out. doesnt help that it's like my favorite wavelength and gets more use than my other lasers, illuminating my dream catchers and such. I'm with you pman, I'd trade 7W of 445 for 405 if I could. might look into a combined diode build sometime. 1W would be great but with the risk of burning it out I think 800mW or so will have to do me. it would be nice if all the wavelngths were available in as many options as 445-450nm has

880mW with .65A in is not very good for this diode there redcowboy unless you're talking 3 element lens

A multiwatt 405 would look magnificent. In my next build, im going to drive a bdr-209 to 350ma and have it pulse with a 555 timer circuit. Im also going to have a setting that drives it to 600ma that does not pulse.