Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Understanding TV LD Package

jlazer303

Hello,

I have two laser diodes that I removed (unfortunately, ripped out) from a Mitsubishi LaserVue L75-A94 DLP rear projection TV. The two lasers I have pictured, are the red and the green laser - the blue laser is an array of 5 laser diodes that look similar to a diode in a laser pointer.

The purpose of removing them is, they have 26k hours on them; and the green laser (potentially a drive issue also) has started to go dim. Thus, I am looking for a potential way to replace them - without recreating the entire drive circuit / board they were removed from. Unfortunately, they do not appear to be in any standard laser diode package I have been able to find. It's possible they were custom built by Mitsubishi for the purposes of the LaserVue product line. The "light engine" itself with these lasers is, apparently, a class 4 output.

Has anyone seen a laser package like the linked before? Or, knows of another forum or contact that might be able to help? Could another laser package be used, but the pins rewired? (assuming we were able to match specs such as wavelength and power output)

Thank you.

Images or diodes and captions:

jlazer303

Hi Kecked,

Unfortunately, that is for the DLP DMD chip. Not for the "light engine" or module with the laser diodes that generates the light reflected off of the DMD you posted.

Beyond economical repair. That is to say the repair will cost far more time, money, and effort than purchasing a new TV.

The one exception might be if you can find an identical TV and swap the diodes.

18LJ

U won't find one I've been searching for one of these for years. Every now and then I'll find one on. Craigslist or see someone selling the laser engine on ebay but always for too much money and these tvs were notorious for crapping out early I think there was even a class action over it. So id say look for someone giving a broken one awAy on CL is ur best bet and hopefully you'll get lucky and the parts u need will work. Did u he k and make sure the green didn't have a bad connect or that the fiber optic wasn't misaligned?

kecked

It’s not laser but can you couple in leds to do the job? Or make a whole new laser module yourself. I looked hard for the diode specs but could not find it. This seems doable. Maybe not as pretty but I think it could be done.

jlazer303

Thank you for the replies.

I've been looking for a replacement for a long time as well. Unfortunately, I found one about 3 years ago; but, decided I did not need the part immediately.

Also, I don't think replacing with LED packages will get the job done. The light engine is designed around a series of dichoric filters and lenses downstream. I would need a complete redesign of the light engine. This is the reason why I am trying to find if the laser diode package can be specced and replaced.

Hopefully I will get lucky. One of the reasons to keep this TV around is because of the superior color gamut. It is currently the only consumer TV capable of nearly the entire Rec 2020 color gamut (when working). And the fact that the DMD is replacable - and driver, optical, and light design documents are available - future 4K HDR upgrades are possible with a little work. The light engine of this particular model is the hardest thing to reverse engineer. I doubt it's something I can undertake without a complete replacement of the light engine available.

Thank you!

18LJ

Yah i really wanted one too its a shame mitsubishi kinda shit on their customers esp for 3k$ tv. I know they discontinued the laser tv after releasing a 75 inch model i think? And there were plans for 4k and a 85 inch but they decided to abandon the tv platfotm and go with projectors instead. U should maybe ask around with lpf members that pull diodes from projectors and see if anyones ever seen those diodes in a mitsu LP? I cant say ive ever come by anyone that mentioned scrapping or doin a teardown of a mitsu proj so i dunno if the diodes would be the samee as the ones in the tv? If u dont get anywhere with it and end up scrapping it u should post pics of the teardown and the light engine cuz ive seen a couple pics of the fiber optics snd everything and the guts look really cool id like to see how it all breaks fown in detail. Good luck

jlazer303

Hi 18LJ,

Thanks for your input. It's definitely a shame how Mits quit on it. Crossing my fingers I find a light engine placement. Will definitely post pics of more detailed breakdown once I give up on it.