Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[HELP] Sci-fi Laser 2.4 mw

Hello dears,

Is my first time here in the group, I'm from Brazil and I would like your help with my laser bought from Sci-Fi lasers (501B 2.4mw) 3/4 years ago.

Recently I loaned it to my uncle and I can imagine he reversed the batteries and my laser died. Now, when I put the batteries and turn it on, the light is too weak. :undecided:

There is anything I can do at this moment? Should I replace the diode or buy a new one from another company? (Specifically Sanwu)

I really faced a lot of problems to receive this laser when I purchased them, our brazilian authorities is a sh*t and very strict to import laser products, I had lucky to get it through...

I count on your help guys!

Roger.

GSS

I don't think it would lase even weak if the battery's were put in wrong?
Could be he over ran the duty cycle as at 2W+ thats not a real big heatsink on the 501B.
Big issue was a few years back Eitan and his company Sci-fi lasers turned out that he was scamming people and using very cheap parts and awful assembly practices.
If you look he is no longer active nor welcomed. The 501B host and it's heatsink can be re used and something maby you can do your self.
Have you tried different batteries? and are both fully and equally and charged?

Last edited:
Welcome to the LPF, Roger. As GSS has noted the 501B host uses a very small heat sink for a 2+ watt laser. It would have a very limited run time as it would overheat quickly. There are a number of options open to you. If customs in Brazil is hard on importing laser pointers, you might consider buying parts and putting one together yourself. That is only if you have some electronic experience already.

welcome roger--please read threads in WELCOME and the stickies .

FYI
Re: [HELP] Sci-fi Laser 2.4 mw
I use mW-- but mw is accepted
The abbrevation for Micro Watt cannot be typed on my keyboard by me ATM>.

' The symbol for microwatt is μW. There are 1,000,000 microwatts in a watt. '

what-wait- who? ahhhh ok

what you could have written was 2.4W-- or 2400 mW
all have different meaning-you cannot mix them up-

'micro watt' BTW is very low power and we would not be interest in such low power lasers.
I was wrong thinking that mw was micro watt--my bad to all I may have tried to correct- oops!
mW is 10x more--'milliwatt' AND
MW is 'mega watt' and KW is 'kilowatt' even more.
you may want to somehow mark your lasers/BATTERIES to always be sure the + and - are correct..
AND NEVER JUST GUESS..

CHEERZ-HAK

Last edited:
Nice catch, Len. I didn't even notice he wrote 2.4 mw as I read GSS response and just added to that. Yes, in this hobby you will find only two mainly listed powers. W for watts and mW for 1/1000th of a watt.

Thank you guys!! You all are awesome!!

I really appreciate every attention with these points.

I'm intend to find someone travelling to US or Europe to bring in hands to me. That will be the easiest mode to get a new one. Oh God!! :yabbem:

hakzaw1

Thanks for your explaining these differences of mw, mW and MW. I'll pay attention next time!!!

you are very welcome.. you may want go back to your personal page and finish--to answer some questions we need location -- answers to your questions will not be the same world-wide.. put that in your page and we will see that when we hover or click your username. Other info added there can be helpful-- got any hobbies? pets? drones? drones with lasers?
add your birthday info and get a surprise!!
had to make correction- things have changed since then.

enjoy your time here---hak

Last edited: