Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help opening press fitted host

Hello everyone!

I've recently came into possession of a laser that's in desperate need of repair. The problem with this laser is still to be determined but I need access to the module in order to properly investigate. Except, the host is press fitted and I seem to be unable to get it apart.

Does anyone have any tips on how I might be able to separate the host without damage? Currently I have it in my vice with a piece of thick leather and I've tried walking it back and fourth while pulling to try to "wiggle" it free. I have not gotten it to budge. I've tried a combination of heat and cold on both sides without much progress. I'm also pretty sure theres a bit of glue in the pressfit (which won't dissolve in acetone!) which just just adds more problems.

Let me know if any of you have any techniques for this kind of "headache".

Thanks!
Jeff

Additional info, I have access to liquid nitrogen and will be trying this method more tomorrow.

what is it made out of? If its not plastic or something, heat it up with a heat gun and try pressing it out. try looking for marks that suggest how it was inserted in the first place, and push it out the way it was put in.

what is it made out of? If its not plastic or something, heat it up with a heat gun and try pressing it out. try looking for marks that suggest how it was inserted in the first place, and push it out the way it was put in.

The entire host is aluminum. The module is not pressed in. It's just the driver is glued in and I'm 90% sure I can't get the driver out without unpressfitting the host. I have heated the host up with a heat gun but I do not want to burn the anodizing.

Pics of what? The host is press fitted in the center. Not much to show :p

I'm in a similar conundrum. I have aluminum head with brass pill, which is loctite'd in with probably red loctite (the other 3 heads were red loctite, supposedly softens with heat). I've poured nail polish remover into the seam a few times, boiled and frozen and boiled and frozen, numerous times. Problem is I need to buy a strap wrench or other suitable tool, because it's too hot for me to grip with my fingers, and I doubt that I'm strong enough to do this by hand anyways.

Any recommendations on wrenches that won't mar a knurled anodized aluminum head, or brass threads? Guessing some sort of rubber belt wrench, but if anybody has something they found at a lowes or HD that they recommend, let me know! I'm thinking whatever solves jeff's problem will probably solve mine too, so thought I'd post up.

That was what I had assumed was red loctite, which is why I suggested a heat gun. you'll need to get it up to 500 deg. F at least to melt that enough to pull it out if that is what is holding it.as far as burning anodizing....psh. I've heated up my Aries PGL to way past hot enough and its pretty unscathed. though as for melting glue, there are lots of solvents like alcohol that tend to break them down...but if worst comes to worst, brake fluid will break down just about anything if you use extreme care with how you place it.... :whistle:

With out a pic of what you're servicing, its hard to give advice

Last edited:
The piece I'm working on is anodized pink/red. I was using a lighter to heat it up, with no side effects or discoloration. I think discoloration occurs if the dye used isn't very heat tolerant. I don't think it hurts the anodize, since the anodize is just metal oxide, which is pretty tough stuff. But then again, the piece I'm working on is $15. The piece Jeff's working on is probably substantially more than that.

Are there threads inside? If so a module puller tool can be fabricated to pull it apart when pressing doesn't
work.