Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help on First Build

J

Jizzanthapus

If I use the groove 2 would I not have to isolate it? Then what would I do? And does it come with the wires soldered on or would I have to do that myself? It looks tiny, I don't know how I would do that.

Last edited:

You could ask the seller to solder the wires on, but they would charge you a few $$$ to do it You could use thermal adhesive like THIS to stick it to the pill or wrap electric tape around it so it doesn't short on anything, me personally would stick it to the pill

J

Jizzanthapus

Oh so it would be the same exact setup but you would attach the driver to the top of the pill? Do I have to do this with this driver or could I just leave it isolated?

I would stick it to the underside of the pill (more room) you don't have to do this with this build, it's normally for heatsinking properties, it makes the build look more professsional, you could stick with the tape as it's a low powered build and I doubt the driver would heat up much If you click on my trust fire build in my sig, that might help you out a bit more

J

Jizzanthapus

Oh ok I got it. And does DTR sell those drivers? Like would I be able to ask him to solder a driver to the diode I'm getting?

Last edited:
J

Jizzanthapus

Alright I'm pretty sure I can get a flexdrive preset to 350mA and the diode from DTR so I should be set now. I just have a couple more questions (I know I have a lot). Would it matter which way I solder the driver? Like soldering the wires from one side of the driver to the diode or the battery contact. I guess I'm just not sure exactly which wires I should be soldering(like with negative/positive). But I understand which parts I should be soldering to each other, I don't know if that makes any sense.

It will have markings on the driver like LD+ or LD- or V+ or V-
Where LD is the Diode and V is the Voltage in or something of the like

J

Jizzanthapus

Ok. And when I make the solder connection between the ring and the battery contact does it matter where I make the connection? or does there just have to be a connection between the two? Also, would just a cheap 30W soldering iron be ok for now?

Im not familiar with this host so couldn't comment, as long as there is a contact for the battery on the pill you just wire the batt contact to the driver and the driver to the diode, assuming the wires are already soldered on the driver and diode the rest should be easy, the ring is only to hold something in ??? You will need a DMM to determine the + and - pads on the batt contact

J

Jizzanthapus

Oh I'm actually not sure now, I'm pretty sure I read that on another thread or something. I don't know why you would need to though. Wait so I wouldn't be able to tell the negative/positive wires on the driver just by looking at it?

you might be able to tell on the driver, it's best to be sure tho, you'll need a DMM if you have future builds and you get an adjustable driver. Im sure they're are threads on this build somewhere on here :)

J

Jizzanthapus

so I don't have to attach the driver anywhere after it's soldered right? But to make more room could I just put it on the pill with like electrical tape? I don't want it to short or anything

Yeah that's right, it's only a low power build so won't need heatsinking, just make sure nothing can short

make sure they're no bare wires touching anything it shouldn't. wrapping the driver should be good enough