Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help on first build

wall

hello, I wanted to build my own laser pointer for a long time now and finally have the money to spend on it. my first idea was a A140 diode at 1w but it's probably a bad idea for a first build so I'm going to order a SF-AW210 sled and harvest the 405 and 660nm diodes. I still have no idea what host/heatsink to use, but if I can find a heatsink for dx sku.46 that'll be the host I'll use. I have absolutely no idea which driver to use, should the aixiz 1w 445/200mw 405 work or a cheap led driver from dx? just a few more questions, what is the voltage the 660nm and the 405 diodes run on the aw210? and would I really need a heatsink to run the 405 at ~150mw and the 660 at ~200mw? thank you for your patiente on reading my dumb and noobish questions
wall

edit: forgot, the lenses I had in mind are the aixiz glass AR coated 405

Last edited:

Fiddy

Good hello,

first of all, when you post, try and split up your questions by starting a new line after you ask one.

Here is a host that comes with a heatsink

Here is a boost driver that will run the SF-AW210 405nm or the 660nm

or

Here is a buck driver that will run the SF-AW210 405nm or the 660nm

Laser diodes are a CURRENT device so, we don't work with voltage values.

A heatsink for them diodes at those powers is recommended although you can get away with the without if you limit your duty cycle enough, your diodes lifetime will be lengthened if you do use a heatsink tho.

Last edited:

wall

Thank you, I know diodes are rated in current/Amps but I thought different wavelengths/diode types used different voltages like short open can, long closed can, etc. I also know that jayrob makes custom heatsinks but they're very expensive (sorry jay) and from your posts I also have a few more questions:
What is forward voltage and what is a boost driver?
Thank you,
wall

Edit:
So 405nm diodes take 4.8v and 660nm diodes take 2.2v?
Is a boost driver a driver that outputs more voltage than the input?

Last edited:

wall

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I used a lithium 3.7v for a 405nm build I'd need a boost driver because 405 diodes take 4.8v and I'd need a buck driver to power a 660nm diode because they take 2.2v?

Cam453

There is also a drop in voltage from your driver that you have to take into account. It's normally 2 li-ions for red diodes and 3 for blue ray to have enough voltage for linear drivers.

wall

Would this driver work? It says it outputs 3 to 6v. I need a driver to power the 405nm diode from one 18650

you could also try out a laby build first, they can be a bit easier sometimes

just my $.02

wall

Never thought of that, but I guess those are more expensive. I'm almost ready to order a TR-801 host, this driver, GGW-H20L sled, aixiz module and AR coated lens for 405nm for just $60 inc shipping. I just want a cheap but powerful pointer and I'd still have 2 diodes to practice harvesting and pressing inside module.