Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help, no power to driver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeOGUrX4aPI

The driver works, it buzzes and gets hot, now if only I could do it when I click the switch!

I have to wiggle it around with lots of pressure, till it connects. But I can not establish when and how Its making the connection. (It gets hot in a hurry)

When inserted into its pill fully tightened down their is no battery play when I shake the host. However there is no connection either.

Any advice appreciated...

DTR

Are you trying to power it without a load? Some driver just shut down without a load and some can be damaged if no load is present. I am not sure how that one acts without a load but do you have a test load to set the driver?

DTR

Nope. That driver will require a test load to set the current. Here is a basic one you can build.

VPc2V2Q.jpg

I bought my 9mm nichia diode from you. Can I hook that up (this drivers low is 1.4A if i turn it all the way counter clockwise?) I don't want to ruin the Diode you sold me for obvious reasons, But i do not have a resistor or 6 of these 1n4001 diodes to test with. That way I could at least have a working 1.4watt and in tiny increments increase it to roughly 1.9A-2.1A yes?

Gosh im a noob at this.

Last edited:

DTR

I would not connect an expensive diode after doing who knows what to the driver by power it like that. I would make sure it is still regulating properly before connecting it to your diode.

I suggest never turning the pot of a driver with a diode connected. If the current needs to be changed I would remove the diode and put it back on a test load and reset it. The pot itself is not a neutral item if it gets shorted with something bypassing regulation can occur or even spikes while turning you could damage your diode.

Also you have the problem of if you have your meter in series with the battery the current draw reading is not going to be the same as the output to the diode since it is a buck driver and if you try to rig it in series with the diode not using solid soldered connections any intermittent connection could charge the outbound caps and damage the diode. A test load is really the only safe way to set the driver.;)

Understood, thank you DTR I connected the Diode 2 days ago to my driver and got nothing. It was at a medium turn out from max and min. So roughly 2.2-2.4A Very bad I know now... Looks like you may be selling another diode very soon to me if this one has gone poof. Live and learn I guess. There is no low LED light coming from it, i assume this means I still have hope as its never lit yet?

Ok enough questions I will do some research on my own and return if I am unsuccessful. Great service & help DTR!

DTR

If you want send both to me and I will test them for you.:)