Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Needed With Pest Problem

Hombre

Thanks fellas for the varied and interesting information, although after reading some of the exchanges between members, it seems that I may have unwittingly kicked over a hornets' nest. It would appear however, that the general consensus would be that the idea I had of overheating these nests to "cook" the occupants using a hand-held laser at a distance, is a little too ambitious.
So it's back to the drawing board.

You can do it with beam shaping optics or an expander attached to a NUBM44 diode at 4.5amps in a heat sink/housing/flashlight.

Here's a NUBM44 with a 6x Cylindrical pair. READ ABOUT HOW I MADE IT HERE

Distance is about 20 feet, maybe 22-23 feet.

You will need to hold steady.

p.s. I am not responsible for any fires you may start, for information only, use at your own risk.

The 6 round burst from the drodz is 4.5mm steel bb's moving @ 550 fps, that's about 365 miles per hour or about 600 kilometers per hour, enough to shred caterpillars nicely.

SKIP AHEAD TO 6:58 on the one BELOW

Last edited:

Benm

These caterpillars are a pretty serious problem - they secrete 'hairs' that can result in pretty serious inflammations in people, and perhaps even be fatal when inhaled.

Pesticides don't provide a good solution either, as they are often aimed at insects disabling their motor control systems, effectively rendering them flighless.

In the netherlands and belgium the fight against these caterpillars has become biological warfare: Infected trees are sprayed with thuringiensis bacteria, that in turn infect and poison the caterpillars from within their digestive tracts.

Despite this there is still the occasional outbreak resulting in people getting skin irritations and all that, but to a degree it's under control.

can you add your location to your profile so we can better help you find the safety glasses needed?

what he said and....
a laser is not good for this....

did you mean a 5 mW laser???

ALSO when you want to add a new post and yours is the existing last post do NOT add a new one-- instead use 'edit' and add to your old post.. you should edit and combine your double post (then delete one)