Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Needed With Pest Problem

Hombre

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on a subject about which I know very little, lasers. I would very much appreciate some advice and assistance with a problem I’m trying to resolve, hopefully with the use of a powerful laser.
I live near the coast in Spain and every year in early spring we have a problem with hordes of caterpillars that nest in nearby pine trees. These insects not only cause severe damage to the trees but also present a serious health hazard.
The Pine Processionary Caterpillar, Thaumetopoea pityocampa, is a pest throughout the Mediterranean. The caterpillars become a problem when they march along the ground nose to tail looking for soft earth in which to pupate. If they’re disturbed at all by human or pet dog or cat they release urticating hairs which cause serious rashes and eye irritation. Every year there are cases where pets have to be put down after contact with these pests.
My plan is to zap the pendulous nests using a 5W laser before the insects fully mature; so here are my questions: would a laser of that power be able to overheat or disrupt a nest at say 20 – 30 feet, if so what colour laser is best suited to the task and would it be possible to focus the beam to concentrate the effect?
I do fully realise the responsibility of using such a powerful tool in the open and every precaution would be taken to ensure its safe use.
Hoping that you can help and that I'm not wasting your time.

Vision

I'd say a 5W 445nm would definitely burn that nest good at that distance. Or maybe invest more and get the 6W+.

What distance you plan on using?
What safety glasses do you have?

Hombre

Thanks for the info Ultron, when I get it I'll carry out some trials and let you know how it pans out.

Vision

Been reading up on these CP's, they are nasty buggers that can also harm children. Also, keep in mind that they are also present within the soil. I'd say maybe get pest control or pesticide and just drown the area in them. Most report say that even after they've been cut down/removed, they come back. They move around, best would be to destroy all of them.

https://www.angloinfo.com/poitou-charentes/discussions/topic/1307999

Hombre

The distance would be up to 50 feet and so far I don't have any glasses but
I welcome your advice on this necessary equipment

Hombre

Pesticides are only a partial solution and are already being used. I rather fancy the more direct and satisfying approach especially as I've been affected by accidental direct contact with them this year.

can you add your location to your profile so we can better help you find the safety glasses needed?

Razako

I might recommend one of these lol
XM42? | The Ion Productions Team
slide_411746_5190796_free.jpg

Another vote for a flamethrower approach, and destroying any heavily infested trees.

To do anything with a laser at 50 feet, you would be looking at an extremely expensive, and not very portable setup.

Hombre

Another vote for a flamethrower approach, and destroying any heavily infested trees.

To do anything with a laser at 50 feet, you would be looking at an extremely expensive, and not very portable setup.
Unfortunately a flamethrower would take out the trees and maybe my house with them! Thanks for your comments on the amount of energy that would be required and the very useful links to bring me up to speed with the subject.

buy a CO2 laser and you'll slice those thing in half... like laser through butter...( anyone with a CO2 laser can demonstrate this ??

To reach 30 feet and burn caterpillars with our 5w diodes you will need either beam shaping optics or an expander, or both, also a steady hand.

Flaming caterpillars in your trees, why does this not seem like a good idea?

I see, not a fan of pesticides.

How about this.
FUN BUG KILLER

Last edited:

GSS

buy a CO2 laser and you'll slice those thing in half... like laser through butter...( anyone with a CO2 laser can demonstrate this ??
Come to think of it, iv'e seen video's of lasers burning just about any object in a room and the occasional finger tip burn but never a stick of butter:thinking: So who could be the first to post a video of this?:whistle: For those members who are watching their arteries a stick of margerine will do:)

Come to think of it, iv'e seen video's of lasers burning just about any object in a room and the occasional finger tip burn but never a stick of butter:thinking: So who could be the first to post a video of this?:whistle: For those members who are watching their arteries a stick of margerine will do:)

:crackup:

Reactions: GSS