Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"HELP" - Need 150mw LENS REPLACEMENT!

-FROG-

Hello folks, I'm new here. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement lens to my 150mw (2xAA battery) Green Laser Pointer? I have had it for a few years and searched all over and even gone as far as ordering a lens from a laser optic manufacturer, but without the proper demensions, it was a gamble and the lens didn't work.

So... I need some help getting a replacement lens for this sucker. I attached a picture of the exact type pointer I have. Seems the only place to get one is by bulk from China but I just need a simple lens! bah!!!

Thanks in advance. -FROG-

Attachments

• 150_001.jpg
    150_001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 98

-FROG-

ElektroFreak said:
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with the original lens?

Well, when I first got it, it had a little dust on it, so I cleaned it off, with a "q-tip" like I normally clean my Atlas Nova lens. I assumed it was glass as much as it cost, but the crap was plastic and I actually made it worse trying to clean it.... althought I was gentle. Friggin rediculous.... So as time passed it got worse and worse from me messing with it. I tried spinning /tuning the optics to move the defractions out of the way but it didn't really work.

.....so here I am in search of a $1.50 part on a $450 useless laser. :(

-FROG-

ben74 said:
You could take the lens out of this .......

Thanks BEN!

However... The link you sent was for a (2 x AAA) battery and I need a pointer with (2 x AA). My laser is fat and the diameter of the lense will be larger than a 2xAAA battery laser. I need to find a cheap, fat 2xAA battery laser to scrap parts off of. Thanks though.

ben74

I have never seen a 2 AA style pointer like that and could you post some pics of the lens?

diachi

-FROG- said:
[quote author=ElektroFreak link=1228375623/0#1 date=1228409457]Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with the original lens?

Well, when I first got it, it had a little dust on it, so I cleaned it off, with a "q-tip" like I normally clean my Atlas Nova lens. I assumed it was glass as much as it cost, but the crap was plastic and I actually made it worse trying to clean it.... althought I was gentle. Friggin rediculous.... So as time passed it got worse and worse from me messing with it. I tried spinning /tuning the optics to move the defractions out of the way but it didn't really work.

.....so here I am in search of a $1.50 part on a $450 useless laser. :([/quote]

It probably had 532nm AR coatings on the lens, and when you've used the Q-tip you have rubbed the coating off or scratched it and this has caused beam distortion .

Just take a lens from another pointer :)

Since you've nothing to lose, really, try taking another q-tip, soak it in isopropyl alcohol and then clean it again. Give the alcohol a chance to fully evaporate before you judge the outcome.. This has worked for me in the past.

-FROG-

Diachi said:
It probably had 532nm AR coatings on the lens, and when you've used the Q-tip you have rubbed the coating off or scratched it and this has caused beam distortion .

Just take a lens from another pointer  :)

No, I think it was just cheap plastic... I scratched it up pretty bad then after a few months of playing with it, I decided to get out the dremel and buff the lense with polish. The lens melted almost immediately... very soft cheap crap. But the laser is so bad ass. :(

-FROG-

ElektroFreak said:
Since you've nothing to lose, really, try taking another q-tip, soak it in isopropyl alcohol and then clean it again. Give the alcohol a chance to fully evaporate before you judge the outcome.. This has worked for me in the past.

well, I wore the lens down with my dremel trying to buff/polish it a while back. It's hopeless now... I really need to replace it but can't seem to find any replacements anywhere.

-FROG-

One more post to 10.... so I can post a video. I think you can see the laser pretty well in the video... I can try and take pistures of the lens later tonight.

dremel+lens=BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD......  :( :( Never use a dremel on a lens. Even on a glass one, and even with the softest polishing head you can find.. only use q-tips and alcohol, or just a soft piece of cotton. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson, though..

-FROG-

Here are a few videos. It's a  2-AA battery, typical laser pointer. just extra big, unlike the 2-AAA battery pointers. The lens reminde me of one of the older red keychain pointers when they first came out. A simple plastic convex lens about 4mm in diameter. Not sure on exact demensions though. The guy I got it from, about 2 years ago, sold them out of his apartment. He was selling wholesale chinese lasers. It's amlopst impossible finding individual parts for cheap wholesale items though.

Videos below. Video #2 is my favorite! :)

Video 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofh37qcFuk4

Video 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEaBsBU27uI&watch_response

-FROG-

ElektroFreak said:
dremel+lens=BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD......  :( :( Never use a dremel on a lens. Even on a glass one, and even with the softest polishing head you can find.. q-tips and alcohol, or just a soft piece of cotton. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson, though..

Well I know not to use a dremel but it beyond repair at that point. I ran out of options and had to take drastic measures to cinfirm the scratched would come out. I knew it would probably distort the lens, but at that point, it didn't matter. I somehow scratched it from the begining. It had a little dust on it when I first got it, that's why I origionally cleaned it off. BUT I assumed it was glass and probably pressed a little harder than I should. I never thought it would be plastic....  uber ghay.

ElektroFreak said:
dremel+lens=BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD......  :( :( Never use a dremel on a lens. Even on a glass one, and even with the softest polishing head you can find.. only use q-tips and alcohol, or just a soft piece of cotton. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson, though..

Belt sander works pretty good though! ::) ;D ;D ;D (j/k)

Ted

-FROG-

Montana64 said:
[quote author=ElektroFreak link=1228375623/0#11 date=1228432243]dremel+lens=BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD......  :( :( Never use a dremel on a lens. Even on a glass one, and even with the softest polishing head you can find.. only use q-tips and alcohol, or just a soft piece of cotton. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson, though..

Belt sander works pretty good though!   ::) ;D ;D ;D   (j/k)

Ted
[/quote]

I didn't use the grind tools of the Dremel. Dremels have a cotton buffer, you can put on a low setting and gently buff out plastics and what not. It is a good tool, but the lens was just too cheap.