Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help my 405nM come back to life! (Warning! Long Thread!)

FF11

Allright, so here's the thing.

I ordered a 405nM Laser from SciFi Lasers in mid July and received it October 1st. It was a long wait. The package was delayed several times. But on the bright side Eitan "accidentally" put in a BDR-209 diode @800mW+ instead of the regular 500mW I had ordered. Thanks! :D

So I get it October 1st and popped in fresh batteries and everything worked as expected, it turned on but was unfocused. The problem starts when I want to focus it.. Because I did not want to burn myself, I turned it off and tried focusing it while it was off. It still produced a searchlight beam. I thought then that there was an internal problem.

Once again I turned the laser off and started unscrewing the tailcap when SUDDENLY while unscrewing, the laser turns ON in a split second and turns back off as I completely unscrewed it. At this point I said- Nope! It can't be! Why!!. -I was pretty sure it wouldn't turn on again... and I was right.

Now why did this happen? I don't know. In addition to that, upon inspection as I was unscrewing the middle part the NEGATIVE LEAD that is connected to the board was ripped off by me. I decided to just desolder the wire and put in a new lead later on. I just don't know which one. I already lost the original. I really don't know anything about circuits but can solder somehow.

The diode's leads are allright. So is the tailcap switch. About that-Can I switch the tailcap for a C6 host's tailcap? Anyways, i am POSITIVE the batts were in correctly. Positive towards diode negative towards tailcap.

No smoke was apparent so I could guess the diode and board are all-right?
I do not have any thing that can check if there is current. No LPM or anything like that. Just a soldering iron. Unfortunately I would not like to send it back to Eitan because I just can't bear to wait any longer. Sorry. I didn't use the laser for more than a mere 3 minutes. I am hoping I could fix it myself but if not I might just sell it to someone more knowledgeable.

What should I do guys? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eitan this is nothing against you, you helped me in every way possible. THANKS
Thanks!! Here are some pics;:yh:

Attachments

• IMG 1.jpg
    IMG 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG 2.jpg
    IMG 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG 3.jpg
    IMG 3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG 4.jpg
    IMG 4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 52

that outter solder blob is where the wire was connected right?
put another one on it about 1 inch. strip the whole wire bare. It then is usually taped or compressed onto it by the host. You cant solder onto aluminium so by design thats really they only way to connect that neg lead to the heatsink. Well at leasst thats the only way ive seen it done or been able to do it myself.
The laser can turn on when unscrewing the tail cap because the edges can connect the circuit when you take it off. Thats why you always point the laser down when screwing the tailcap on or off.

Last edited:

FF11

Ok. THanks. Ill try that. So do you think anything serious happened or will the laser be good to go after I do that?
-FF

Ok. THanks. Ill try that. So do you think anything serious happened or will the laser be good to go after I do that?
-FF

Either way you are under warranty ... worst case new unit will be sent to you or a free repair.

Try to fix it. If you can not do that .. pm me :)

FF11

Ill try to fix it and update you tomorrow. Also, is that lead absolutely necessary in order for the laser to turn on?
Thanks- FF

yes it is (the lead).. its what connects the neg side the the contact board to the heatsink which then connects through the host to the tailcap switch then to the batt… its a long path so it can be pretty finicky. It should work with a new lead soldered on.

feel free to PM me with any other questions

Last edited:
Hi,
Tell us a little more about your self like were are you from, age, are you in school things like that..
Anyway in the pic the solder looks like it isn't contacting the heat sink from the Neg- on the board. Just flow some solder to the heat sink that will give you a solid ground though the host.

Rich:)