Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me with a new laser build

94Z28

Do you think I should get the S4X or the S4 from survival laser? And could you copy and paste the name of the diode driver you were talking about from that link above. Thanks
Also are AW batteries the best?

Hi,
The SX4 is a great host that Garry sells That will be an awesome host for that 44 diode ,but run times are limited to around 60 seconds on and 30 seconds off. I'm thinking of getting one more fore a 520nm but in silver finish

Rich"_

Thanks for the help, so with this diode, NUBM44 450nm Laser Diode
In 12mm Copper Module
W/SXD Driver &
Three Element Glass lens
7-12V Input Driver Attached Via Lead For Easy Heatsinking
$150
and the s4x I would only get 30 seconds of run time?

Rich said 60 seconds on, then you have to have it off for at least 30 seconds. That diode put out a lot of heat and the bigger the heat sink, the longer your "on" time. I'm not familiar with that host, so I'm going by what Rich said. You could do better if you get a host with a larger heat sink and preferably copper as opposed to aluminum.

That is a very small heat sink, even though it is copper. The heat put out by the NUBM44 is pretty high and needs a sink of greater mass. That heat sink is one I would use on a 500 mW laser diode, not a 6+ watt one. Isn't the S4X host sold by Survival Lasers? If you want to use that one, I'd not allow it to stay on for very long without turning it off and letting it cool down.

That is a very small heat sink, even though it is copper. The heat put out by the NUBM44 is pretty high and needs a sink of greater mass. That heat sink is one I would use on a 500 mW laser diode, not a 6+ watt one. Isn't the S4X host sold by Survival Lasers? If you want to use that one, I'd not allow it to stay on for very long without turning it off and letting it cool down.

Okay yeah the s4x is sold by survival lasers. Could you recommend a better host and heat sink for that diode. Thank you for the help

Many people use the XM900 flashlight for the host and you could search the threads for a copper heat sink for it.

Also are there any other sites than survival laser you would recommend? Thanks

While your looking at survival lasers be sure to look at the eye protection you will need. It would also be nice to know what your looking to do with the laser. The diode you mentioned isn't really great for a pointer. The output beam is not like the beam your probably expecting. Use the search bar and read threads about what you are considering to purchase.

I am looking just to burn stuff. Also I have their goggles the 540 nm ones. Also what other diode driver combo would you recommend that is really good for burning.

While your looking at survival lasers be sure to look at the eye protection you will need. It would also be nice to know what your looking to do with the laser. The diode you mentioned isn't really great for a pointer. The output beam is not like the beam your probably expecting. Use the search bar and read threads about what you are considering to purchase.

Forgot to reply to you, thanks the post above is my response

The NUBM44 is the highest power diode right now, but it's divergence is so bad that there are better options for a burning laser. A 3 watt 445nm 9mm diode would work even better unless you are willing to put the extra optics to correct it's terrible beam divergence. I'll look for the links you want if you still want to use this diode.