Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me repair this laser pointer. 20$ reward for any information that leads to a repair.

albertcju

Hi everyone,

I used to play a lot with laser pointers about 10 years ago back when I was a kid, and in 2009 I bought a Rayfoss RF532 focusable 200mW green laser pointer that was my most precious possession. One day, I turned the focusing ring too hard in one direction and something clicked inside, locking the focusable head in a state where the laser has a focusing point about 10cm away. This is great for burning, but I can't use it as a laser pointer anymore. It's been sitting unused in this state for many years, and now I'm getting into astronomy and would absolutely love to use this laser from my childhood. However, Rayfoss aren't around anymore and I can't find anywhere on the Internet that sells this model. I would appreciate any help with either repairing or replacing the head.

As best as I can tell there are three pieces involved:

1. The outer shell. This has a very fine small inner thread
  2. The moving focusing part. This are the two threaded parts that a focusing ring (not shown in the pictures) screws into. Moving the ring is meant to move this part in and out.
  3. The main body. This is the part that has the two holes on the sides for both the focusing part to move around, and I suspect the extra space is for some sort of special tool to slide inside on both holes (a bit like the back of a watch) and allow disassembly but unscrewing it from the outer shell.

I've tried using flat screwdrivers that slot into both holes and push in both directions but nothing seems to move (maybe parts 1 and 3 and glued?) or maybe I'm missing the right tool for the job.

I'll send 20$ via PayPal to anyone who can help me get this thing repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_200426.jpg
    IMG_20200126_200426.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200126_200448.jpg
    IMG_20200126_200448.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 14

From your photos it looks like the collimating lens screws into and out of the focus ring. It also looks like the plastic lens holder screws into the laser for adjustment. If this is the case, you can try screwing the lens further into the lens holder, just a little to see if that makes a difference and is the correct direction. By trying variations of in or out you should be able to get it working again. Don't try screwing it many turns at one time as you may not be able to reverse the procedure.

Try adjusting the position of the carrier by twisting the bezel while holding the center section in your hand before you screw the assembly into your housing in case it's bottomed out at the end of it's range.

It's built so you screw the assembly into your housing until it bottoms out then twisting the bezel which moves the carrier that holds your lens fore and aft without actually rotating the lens, it's likely bottomed out at the end of it's range.

wgwg.jpg

Last edited: