Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Me Please!!!!

Hello this is my first time posting on this forum. I just bought a Pioneer 18x DVR-1810b5pk from fry's. When I got home I took it apart and got the laser diode out and hooked it up to a 3v 2 AA battery power supply and it was working, then I tried it again and it was Dim :'(. I am pretty sure i fried the laser. So I am gonna make one more attempt in building the mini mag laser. Can some one tell me what is a good dvd burner that has a closed diode( I heard that they are less prone to break) and can support a 3v power supply. Thanks for your time :)

Well there you have learned your first lesson I am sorry to say. NEVER EVER connect a laser diode direct to batteries , even for a second. You are now the proud owner of a very expensive LED. Only connect the diode with a current and voltage regulated circuit (there are a couple of good ones posted and stickied on the forum) or a precision DC power supply with some sort of current limiter.

Knowledge is power, please take time to read the forums, all the information you will ever need and then some more is contained here.

and finally, Welcome to the forums.

Jase

You MIGHT get by with some "cheap" aa cells in direct drive because of higher internal impedance. Good quality cells (2 of them) will cook a LD before you see the beam :(

Mike