Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me pick the right one!

Nizari

So I was in Nocturnal Miami the other night, and I saw someone had a green laser pointer, and was lighting up the ladies, bouncing it off the disco ball, and having all sorts of fun with the laser. Made me really want to get one to do the same thing, looks like a lot of fun. Thing is I don't know which to get, I've done a good three hours of research on the topic now and I have exhausted my sources. I don't wan't to hurt anyone, but I still want the beam to be visible. I'll be scanning people with it, bouncing it off mirrors inside, and off the other things in the club. I almost went with a 95mw green laser from dragonlasers, but I did more research and found that this type of laser could blind someone in less then a second! Don't wan't to hurt anyone, you know?

So my question is, what laser should I go with? My budget is a little over 200, and the dragonlaser is within that budget, but it may be to powerfull, there is another site that sells blue/violet lasers at 5 mw for around 150, but I wanted to know if the beam would be visible or not? Most important thing is the beam being visible, and I'd like to have a unique color like blue or violet. If you think going with the dragonlaser is a good idea, also let me know. But people will be getting hit with it, and if I happen to get it in there eye I do not want to inflict injury. I believe the scanning lasers in the club itself are about 5mw, and by no means will I be intentionally getting people in the eye with it, It's just a possibility.

So to reiterate
Safe highly visible blue/violet/green laser pointer I could use in a club, the beam must be visible. I kind of like the sound of violet, but no red.

If you could suggest a better or cheaper retailer I'd be very gratefull!

Sorry, I'm such a newb at this laser thing. Was going to post in safety etc. but this seemed like a better fit.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Rodney.

Nizari

Thanks! I had already browsed there site, I just wanted feedback, I think I will go with the galileo.

Eku

Yea they sell great lasers and the galileo is one of them!

20mW or less of green is still going to be safe as long as you avoid direct eye contact, reflective direct eye contact, etc, but make sure your laser is really putting out less than 20mW with an LPM prior to shining it around, Laserglow lasers can usually be considerably overspec (I know, my Herc 350 peaks at just over 500mW) - You might be better off picking up a cheapie here in the BST thread for $25-30 or so that has a confirmed output, you'll save some good $$ and have a laser you KNOW can't cause anyone harm ... Hell, PM me if you want, I have a brand new Romisen green handheld that peaks at 21mW and runs consistantly at 18-19mW I'd sell you for $30 shipped here in the US (and I'll provide a power graph with it too) - Just an option...

D

Deleted member 8382

Buy a DX 5mW, it's usually at the 20mW range. If you can'tget it shipped to you I might buy it for you and then ship it to you (5$ for shipping it USA its fine).

Yours,
Albert

Yes, ~20mW will be safe _if_ there is no direct or reflective eye contact, but for your stated use I don't think you can guarantee that.

I don't want to scare you or anything, but have a read of this before you decide: http://www.milankarakas.org/pub/Eye_injury/Eye_injury.html

It depends a lot on the power and the divergence, but I wouldn't be thrilled if someone shined a 20mW into a disco ball when I was in the room.

Oops - didn't catch the disco ball portion of the post...

Yeah, even 20mW would aggravate the hell out of me if I caught it in the face.

Here's something I'll just throw out there: Check our Buy/Sell/Trade area for something focusable in the ~20mW range. That way, you can set the beam to a wider divergence (making the beam 'thicker' and reducing the power it would deliver to any one point), so you get the double bonus of a thicker beam and less chance of injury.

And hello from a fellow Miamian.

I wouldn't risk beaming in a club. All it takes is someone to get irritated and complain and you're bounced (and possibly your pointer taken). All it takes is a drunk guy pissed that you beamed him and/or his date and then you have problems of another sort. Heck, a bouncer or some club owner/manager sees you and calls the cops... Or you have the dumb luck of having your pointer with you in the club but some other yahoo is beaming people in the eyes...but you are the one the people/bouncers/police see later on playing with a laser in the club and ...well you can imagine the outcomes.

Just a suggestion but as fun as it looks, it would be best to leave the lasers at home when you are out on the town. Leave the laser shows to the pros like BrewCityMusic and the like.

If you are going to get inebriated, leave the laser at home. Drinking and green lasers in the 15mW power range and higher could hurt someone. There is going to be some IR radiation in your laser most likely. I know you are going to do it anyway, but be careful please.

Peace

Last edited: