Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me out.

Hiemal

Alright... I've went ahead and bought the Radiantshades. I found an old coupon code that gave me free shipping basically. :D

I guess you guys are right. I'd rather spend a little more money to have goggles that are trustworthy.

The biggest problem with any goggle is how long before the beam eats though the lens. If you set your laser down to take a picture, video, do some testing, ect, and you get a refection while you're concentrating, you may not see the hit because obviously the goggles block the light. What saves your a$$ is the time it takes for the beam to burn, or bleach the lens. Certified goggles can usually handle 10 seconds. This gives plenty of time for you to notice what is happening, or even gives you the time to move out of the way naturally. Its hard to stand in the exact same place for 10 seconds at a time without some kind of movement. And that is what truly separates the cheap, from the higher priced certified goggle.

I've got a set of Eagle Pair goggles, and like them, but frankly I'm not buying anything other than certified goggles from now on. It just gives me that much more piece of mind, and frankly, to me that's well worth the cost.

EXCEPT: I'm going to buy a set of those Uvex goggles right now just to see how long it takes to burn through them with a 1.8A 445. If they pass the test, so be it, but they are cheap enough to light up a pair for fun. :eg:

I've got a set of Eagle Pair goggles, and like them, but frankly I'm not buying anything other than certified goggles from now on. It just gives me that much more piece of mind, and frankly, to me that's well worth the cost.

EXCEPT: I'm going to buy a set of those Uvex goggles right now just to see how long it takes to burn through them with a 1.8A 445. If they pass the test, so be it, but they are cheap enough to light up a pair for fun. :eg:

I got OEMs from the last GB. They just started another GB and need a few more people to get a 25% discount.

We need more testing to to see if they are consistent. Shoot me your paypal info and I'll send you $7 this weekend to buy another pair to test. :beer:

Last edited:
I got OEMs from the last GB. They just started another GB and need a few more people to get a 25% discount.

We need more testing to to see if they are consistent. Shoot me your paypal info and I'll send you $7 this weekend to buy another pair to test. :beer:

Yeah, I'm all up in that GB. :D Seriously though, yeah, that's a good deal. Need more peoples!

I don't have an LPM, so it's not going to be very a scientific test I'm afraid. I'll probably just put a stopwatch on it, maybe a camera, and see how long it takes for light to get to the other side of the lens. I wish i had an LPM...

Last edited:
In order to do a more proper test, an LPM with a FAST response time is needed.

If someone with a good LPM is willing to give it a shot, I'll chip in $7 to have another pair tested.

Side note, when guns were first becoming present on european battlefields, it wasn't uncommon for armorers to test their suits of armor by firing a musket ball at them.

EDIT: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/tester-needed-lets-try-out-some-cheap-goggles-71877.html

Last edited:
In order to do a more proper test, an LPM with a FAST response time is needed.

If someone with a good LPM is willing to give it a shot, I'll chip in $7 to have another pair tested.

Side note, when guns were first becoming present on european battlefields, it wasn't uncommon for armorers to test their suits of armor by firing a musket ball at them.

I'd chip in for a pair too if someone wants to give it a go.

I'd chip in for a pair too if someone wants to give it a go.

3303-0331: COHERENT,INC.: Test, Tools & Supplies

Found these just today. No idea what to think of them.

It would be interesting to have let's say half a dozen tested. Options other than just the Uvex would be good.

I started another thread to address this subject separately:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/tester-needed-lets-try-out-some-cheap-goggles-71877.html

Last edited:
The biggest problem with any goggle is how long before the beam eats though the lens. If you set your laser down to take a picture, video, do some testing, ect, and you get a refection while you're concentrating, you may not see the hit because obviously the goggles block the light. What saves your a$$ is the time it takes for the beam to burn, or bleach the lens. Certified goggles can usually handle 10 seconds. This gives plenty of time for you to notice what is happening, or even gives you the time to move out of the way naturally. Its hard to stand in the exact same place for 10 seconds at a time without some kind of movement. And that is what truly separates the cheap, from the higher priced certified goggle.

That is still gonna need some clarification. Are we talking about 10 seconds focused to perfection at the plane of the lens? I don't know if the UVEX will handle that or not, but they might. I was running way longer than 10 seconds on my LPM'S tests, but I wasn't specifically trying to burn a hole in the lens itself.

I did get a couple of ripples in different tests, but nothing that burned through, or even appears to have hurt the goggle's functionality.

Also, we'll want to test different wavelengths. According to Honeywell's specs, they are good to 540nm, but I'm not sure how steep that curve is when they start passing green.

I will say that testing a 190mW RPL-165 yielded 5mW on the other side, so that would tell me that they are starting to let 532 pass, but at a much lower rate.

405 and 445 just don't appear to pass at any appreciable strength.

I would very much like to see others here on the forum try them out and test them. I personally am very comfortable using them at the powers of lasers that I have and the way I use them. I also don't mind suggesting to a kid who I don't think is going to spring for >$50 goggles for him to AT LEAST get the UVEX glasses.

Ultimately, glass would be the way to go I suppose... But $$$$

Hiemal

Also, guys, I sprung for the Aurora C6 kit from Moh, since it just contains so many googles for a great price. I used the 15 percent coupon so it ended up being only $37 including shipping! (plus an extra diode mount aixiz thingie)

The only thing I need now are batteries, and I PM'd Kiyokuan (or however the heck you spell his username) about his Laser Fire sale and the 16430's he's selling. Hopefully I'll get a response.

That is still gonna need some clarification. Are we talking about 10 seconds focused to perfection at the plane of the lens?

I do believe its at its optimum focus. It only make sense to have it protect against worst case scenario.

Hiemal

I never intended for this to be a debate about goggles guys....

I just wanted some help with choosing parts, since I wasn't so sure.

Just saying. :undecided:

As often happens :whistle:

attachment.php

Survival lasers has some great options in terms of heatsinks and a good host. You can also grab a flexdrive from FlamynPyro or there are plenty of other drivers out there.

If your budget is set at $35 for both host and heatsink, you pretty much have to go with a flashlight host, so the c6 is a decent option.

Hiemal

Yeah, I already went with the C6 host kit from Moh. It seemed like the best deal in terms of...everything.

Get a focus adapter, lens, heatsink, host, driver, diode thingie.... all for $37! Awesome. Also got four CR123 Ultrafires (rechargeable ones I made sure) from a US seller on Ebay for $8!

Last edited: