Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me find TTL laser driver

digitos

Ok, I'm done busting my BDR-09's with cheap chinese drivers. Last time I did everything right (I hope so), used dummy load to set the current (with enought margin), checked cables, soldered everything together but still end up LEDing the laser on first try. :mad:

I have some questions regarding laser drivers. I was wondering if I could use these drivers BlackBuck 8M or Super X drive (sorry cannot post links) to power my BDR09 @500mA or S06J @400mA, since these drivers both have minimum current range well above 500mA. Is it possible for these drivers to drive my lasers at lower current than its designed minimum range? If not could some please recomend adequate driver with TTL/PWM capability? My supply voltage is 12V but that I could adjust. I'm planning to engrave with it.

Sorry for my mental breakdown above and thanks for responses. :cool:

The BDR-209 is one of the diodes we overdrive drastically trying to get the most optical power out of them. These diodes have a higher than average forward voltage and the currents you list are considered the highest that they should be driven at. The SXD drivers are not adjustable and the BB8 is not engineered to drive diodes at such low currents. TTL won't help you as these only modulate the diode from maximum current to no current. So, for the period that they are on they are still being overdriven and this will not mitigate your problems. Adjustable boost drivers work pretty well for both diodes using only one battery. I would consider trying to drive them a bit lower, at least at first, until you succeed in getting one going. I had issues with my 405nm diodes too. They all kept failing. Since then, DTR has lowered his recommendations for maximum current on these and with more massive heat sinks, mine have continued to work.

Good luck.

Anthony P

Everything Paul said is accurate. However, I have used the BB8 for lower currents by setting it to lowest output (1A) and then using a pot and and fixed resistor on the built in analog adjust.

I would be careful as these single mode 405nm laser diodes are among the most unforgivable diodes available to us. Using the BB8 like that would be okay for most diodes, but these are not most diodes. After you have lost several I believe you will agree.

Something overlooked is how static sensitive these diodes are and they don't have any built in anti static protection like nubm/nugm diodes do, so as OP said he is losing them from the start I think static protection should be mentioned.

digitos

Thanks for reply, my use case with these diodes is engraving/cutting hence the TTL. Paul, which driver are you using? My only option for serious driver seems to be something like JTech Photonic driver but these costs over 180$ incl shipping.

ESD is also important I know.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Since you mentioned that you know of ESD precautions, I'm sure you've taken taken steps to short across the drivers outputs after setting with the dummy load prior to attaching to your sensitive BDR diode.

Good luck!

Thanks for reply, my use case with these diodes is engraving/cutting hence the TTL. Paul, which driver are you using? My only option for serious driver seems to be something like JTech Photonic driver but these costs over 180$ incl shipping.

ESD is also important I know.

You might try the LDSE500 SEPIC driver from DTR. In boost configuration it is adjustable from 50 mA to 500 mA. Will take a single Li-ion battery, or can be configured to take two Li-ion batteries as a buck driver. I have also used astralist's boost drivers, but not sure about availability now. The LDSE500 is $25.00 from DTR or can be found from X-Woosee on eBay.