Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help: laser problem

kitake

I just received my x-125 in the mail today and it is awesome, i was trying out the optics and playin with it a little bit when i noticed that the beam wasent aligned with the barrel. I thought it might have been an illusion at first so i set it on a flat surface and sure enough when i turn it on about 18 inshes from the aperture the beam hits the surface :(. what should i do, i had to wait almost a month to recieve it because it was back-ordered, i dont want to wait another month to get a replacement. :'(

Things

a slightly crooked beam is normal, but if it is really outta whack, i guess you will have to send it back. have you got a pic?

Best thing to do is deal with the replacement. Some might be able to realign it, but with it so new and definitely under warranty, this isn't recommended.

S

SenKat

Contact Nova, let them know what is going on - see what the y recommend...They will most likely ask you to return it to them - I am surprised this made it past their QA team - possibly damaged in shipping ? Did you select insured as an option for shipment ?

Gazoo

My X105 does the same thing at appx. the same distance on the table. But when I am just pointing at things it isn't that noticeable so it doesn't bother me. Since mine has very tight mw specs, and the beam itself appears to be perfect, I am not going to send it back for a replacement.

LarryQ

X-125's are rare indeed...no wonder you had to wait for one....

If the alignment is an issue..contact Nova..and ask for an RMA

THey will take care of you...

THe only problem is..you may have to wait again for a new laser....

Hopefully they can correct the alignment on your laser..but if they have to replace it...well....they may not have another to send you!

Seriously...the number of 125's that they sell is very low..
If a laser is not up to their level of performance ..they will not sell it as a X-125!

Please keep us informed!!!!

Larry

kitake

hey thanks, i know that the x-125 is hard to come by, and it is rated at 131 peak with 128mw sustained. they sent me an e-mail. i dont think is too much of a problem, this is what they said: Dear Mr. ******,

The X-Series lasers are not built to have the laser beam exit the aperture parallel to the body of the unit. Beam parallelism is difficult and time intensive to achieve and is not a design feature of these relatively low cost but high output compact lasers. The X-Series lasers are not designed for alignment and you will find that alignment lasers are much more expensive.

If you had planned to use your laser for alignment purposes you might try what some of our other customers have done and outfit the unit with a mounting rig.

Please let me know if my answer does not alleviate your concerns.

kitake

so i really love my new laser, i will try to get some pics up(my first ever) and i wont send it back, i had also bought the optic holder along with 1 of the cool design beam optics, they are awesome i got the dg timetunnel. they were so nice they even sent me the liquid fan optic free ($22.99 value). i think i will survive with just a little crooked beam. ;)

LarryQ

Holy crap..that IS powerful!~!!

Given the size of the X-series..that's a lot of power in a small package!!!

To tell the truth..I'm jealous!!!!

Anyway...have you decided what you are going to do with it??

If it really bothers you..I'm sure they will give you a refund....

Keep us informed!!!

OOPPPSSS...you beat me to the punch!!!!!

Nice laser!!!

Definately post some pics!!!!

Larry

Gazoo

Well it's good to know they don't consider it a defect. Thanks for sharing that e-mail and I am glad you will not be returning it.. ;) I need to get some vids up too of mine lighting matches. I want to see how many I can light in a minute.. ;D

My X105 is a little off and so was my leadlight, I think it is normal for these things to be slightly off.

Well my x85 is also a lil off. But I can tell you that they know this and it is because they have aligned the crystal to get the most out of it. Sometimes the crystals do better at different angles and such. Completely normal.

Hope I helped.

LarryQ

Greenie said:
Well my x85 is also a lil off.   But I can tell you that they know this and it is because they have aligned the crystal to get the most out of it.  Sometimes the crystals do better at different angles and such.  Completely normal.  

Hope I helped.

Thanks for that info...seems like a very reasonable explanation!!

LarryQ

i wonder if any of the models of portable laser out there do try to get perfect beam alignment? the alphas, PPLs/RPLs, hercules...es (what's the plural of hercules? hehe)? or is it just the sorta lasers that are way out of the price range of most of us hobbyist types? not that it really matters to me if a beam leaves at a slight angle, just curious :)

Justin

Marianne: Technically I think the plural of Hercules would be Herculae, but there's no way I'm going to type that all day long. Herculeses sounds fine to me. ;)

And it is not possible to produce green DPSS lasers with perfect alignment of beam to body every time. The beam often exists at an angle from the laser module because there are so many components inside that need to be aligned just right, it can't always be aligned perfectly with the body of the laser. A slight ~5 deg exit angle is normal, if it's coming out at 30 deg or something crazy like that you may be able to get a replacement. This goes for any green laser, not just NOVA's x-series.

S

SenKat

You know something ? that is something I NEVER tested on any of my lasers....I wonder why all you smarties out there have never remonded me to check that when I do my reviews, huh ? :( WELL - it WILL be added in from now on ! That is really interesting - I had only heard of one SEVERE case once - over on LC - but the beam was so crooked, half of it was hitting the aperarture on the way out !