Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identifying a busted chip on a SXD-v8

Hi all, I've asked both the maker and DTR and haven't gotten very far yet so I'm hoping someone here can help me identify a chip I need replaced on a 4.5a SXD v8 driver I have. From some pics I took before a dab of artic adhesive ripped the chip clean off the board, I am able to make out that it's marking is "109" and it looks like it's sot23 but I may be wrong on the size, idk I'm not great with sizes. Google returns a possibility of ZXCT1009.
The ZXCT1009 is a high side current sense monitor. Using
this device eliminates the need to disrupt the ground plane When sensing a load current.

Anyone care to chime in with thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks, I'd like to get this driver up and running again.

Good luck, no one would tell me when I asked, being a new member you are probably less likely to have the guys who make the drivers give that info out. Proprietary.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is nice that you are trying to find out and repair the driver, but isn't it better off just to replace it? It seems you have more idea than me on what chip it is.

Last edited:
The ICs on these drivers have been kept secret since they became available. I tried to repair a 1.8 amp X-Drive back when I was new and had no luck finding out anything at all about the driver. If you can guess your way through it, then good for you. Otherwise, the best advice has already been given. Replace it.

The ICs on these drivers have been kept secret since they became available. I tried to repair a 1.8 amp X-Drive back when I was new and had no luck finding out anything at all about the driver. If you can guess your way through it, then good for you. Otherwise, the best advice has already been given. Replace it.

This is not an "ic" it's a simple chip, and I understand the need to keep the design In house, but I'm not asking for the main chip here or any other chip that had been sanded to mask it's marking.
It would be one thing if it was crucial to the intellectual property of the design but since it wasn't sanded down and it's not an "ic" then I see no harm as to trying to identify this chip and repair a $30 for around $2 instead of paying a total of $60 to replace a $30 driver.

Still don't see a way to get the information you are looking for. If you think you know what it is, replace it and see.

diachi

No suggestions, don't have any of those drivers in front of me. However, IC = Integrated Circuit.

in·te·grat·ed cir·cuit
ˈin(t)əˌɡrādid ˌsərkət/
noun
noun: integrated circuit; plural noun: integrated circuits

1. an electronic circuit formed on a small piece of semiconducting material, performing the same function as a larger circuit made from discrete components.

A chip usually means an IC. The part that you've already suggested yourself for the part is by definition an IC...

Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
No suggestions, don't have any of those drivers in front of me. However, IC = Integrated Circuit.

in·te·grat·ed cir·cuit
ˈin(t)əˌɡrādid ˌsərkət/
noun
noun: integrated circuit; plural noun: integrated circuits

1. an electronic circuit formed on a small piece of semiconducting material, performing the same function as a larger circuit made from discrete components.

A chip usually means an IC. The part that you've already suggested yourself for the part is by definition an IC...

Good luck on your search.

Since when does chip mean IC? They are 2 different things where a chip can be an ic or simple component. so show me the circuit that this "ic" replaces? Oh right, can't do that untill the chip has been identified, so untill that happens and it's proven that it's a replacement of a discreet component circuit, then it's just a chip for now as it could be an ic or it could be a simple zenner, diode, or one of the 1000 other sot23 simple chips that don't qualify as an IC

Last edited:
I believe those are called SMDs. Surface Mount Devices can be resistors, caps, diodes and all sorts of devices, but chips have been used to signify ICs long before SMDs were around.

Benm

Can you draw a complete schematic of the electronics in this laser, marking the destroyed component just as a box with pin numbers/positions?

The problem with these SMD device markings is that they are often difficult to find, especially if they are just 2 or 3 character/digit codes on devices that are not obviously resistors, capacitors or transistors by their pin count and position in circuit.

diachi

Since when does chip mean IC? They are 2 different things where a chip can be an ic or simple component. so show me the circuit that this "ic" replaces? Oh right, can't do that untill the chip has been identified, so untill that happens and it's proven that it's a replacement of a discreet component circuit, then it's just a chip for now as it could be an ic or it could be a simple zenner, diode, or one of the 1000 other sot23 simple chips that don't qualify as an IC

An integrated circuit or monolithic integrated circuit (also referred to as an IC, a chip, or a microchip) is a set of electronic circuits on one small flat piece (or "chip") of semiconductor material, normally silicon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit

TL;DR: Chip generally == IC.

Can you draw a complete schematic of the electronics in this laser, marking the destroyed component just as a box with pin numbers/positions?

The problem with these SMD device markings is that they are often difficult to find, especially if they are just 2 or 3 character/digit codes on devices that are not obviously resistors, capacitors or transistors by their pin count and position in circuit.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20170912_101830.jpg
    IMG_20170912_101830.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 82
That three pin device you circled in red is a transistor, what makes you believe that is the dead device? Have you used a DVM in diode mode to check for emitter junction voltage drop? At this point guys, I really suspect this is a let me see you jump through hoops guy.

That three pin device you circled in red is a transistor, what makes you believe that is the dead device? Have you used a DVM in diode mode to check for emitter junction voltage drop? At this point guys, I really suspect this is a let me see you jump through hoops guy.

Like I said in the first post, The chip got pulled off of the board when I pulled a heaksink off that was artic adhesived and it broke the legs off flush at the chip so I have no way of doing any testing of the chip, kindly tell me why you think it's a transistor? My searching of sot23 & the marking of 109 leads me to zxct1009 and the reasons I'm leaning to that is it's location, it's right at the high side output & the xct1009 is a high side current senser and it seems like it has that resistor marked D10 which is a 240k ohm connected to the two pins on that side. this is a 4.5amp and I have a 2.4amp as well and everything is the same except that mentioned resistor, on the 2.4amp version the resistor is marked R010 which is 0.010ohm so that makes me think this chip is part of the circuit controlling the output current by sensing the output and reporting it to the ic and changing this "sense resistor" changes the output.

Sorry to make you think I'm trying to make you "jump through hoops" with all of the research and investment of time I've put into this and with all the info I've provided and my explained thought process as to what I think it is and asking for a confirmation of alternative suggestion i appreciate your suggestion but I think your comment suggesting I'm trying to waste everybodies time is very rude.

Last edited:
Why would someone put all that time into researching what component failed on a cheap little board like that is my question, hell, just pm me your shipping info and i will send you a good working board.