Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identify this laser please, looks like vintage Surefire

Hi all,

Noob here to the laser forms, long time CPF fashlight junkie :)

I recently picked up a 80's looking laser sight, I'm fairly sure it's a He Ne tube on account of the size and the fact it runs off two 9v batteries. I am trying to find out more information about this laser, model number, any original info. It seems to still work with a fresh set of batteries. It works with a squeeze tape style of switch which connects to a SMA looking connector on the back of the laser.

If anyone knows more about this laser sight by Laser Products I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Cheers

qosqw3.jpg

t66x6x.jpg

312d081.jpg

swtiqd.jpg

200ve2w.jpg

w1ad7s.jpg

Welcome to LPF, Foxtrot824! There are many nice people here who’ll be happy to listen and help whenever possible. You can access our extensive database of laser related information by using the Search button on the top of the front page. You have an interesting looking item and probably someone has specific knowledge about it. Please read the threads about eye safety and always remember to be laser safe. I hope that you enjoy your stay here. Thanks and Take Care. :D

-cd

Gazen

Welcome!

I’m sure someone will be able to help you with that.

Stay safe and enjoy your time here!

diachi

If I had to guess I'd say it's a HeNe, but I could be wrong. Can you give us a closeup of the "DANGER" label at the back? Should state a wavelength, which would tell us pretty quick if it's a HeNe or not. Looks like the front and end caps might come off too, using a tool in the two holes visible at the outer side of each end. May screw off. Pictures of what's inside would also tell me.

Thanks everyone! I will take some better pictures this weekend, specifically of the warning label. I don't recall seen a specific nm output but I also wasn't looking for it. I'd just like to be able to identify what model this is and what it's worth.

Cheers

diachi

Thanks everyone! I will take some better pictures this weekend, specifically of the warning label. I don't recall seen a specific nm output but I also wasn't looking for it. I'd just like to be able to identify what model this is and what it's worth.

Cheers

Might try reaching out to this guy: https://photonlexicon.com/forums/member.php/2091-Eidetic

He has an antique laser museum... He may be familiar with the manufacturer.

Might try reaching out to this guy: https://photonlexicon.com/forums/member.php/2091-Eidetic

He has an antique laser museum... He may be familiar with the manufacturer.

Thank you, I actually found him through is museum site and reached out, unfortunately it was not something he had seen before. Searching gas lasers from the 80's I found many articles about the laser from The Terminator but that's about it.

My understanding is that "Surefire" as we know it know was born out of Laser Products but started as a laser company in the 1980's and in the 1990's became focused on high output flashlights. That's where I lose the trail of Laser Products Corp.

As diachi stated, the "Danger" sticker likely would have the wavelength on it. If it says 632.8nm or 633nm then it is a He-Ne tube. If it says 650nm to 660nm then it is a direct diode laser. A peek inside would also be informative.

18LJ

A laser sight for a rifle? Or for like a rangefinder or measurement equip? If it is for a rifle mount it must be a fairly tough sturdy tube . Id suspect that the mirrors would frequently be thrown off alignment from the recoil? But then again its pretty old and stuff back then was usually built to last. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' eh? Anyhow nice score.

Here are a few more pictures (non cell phone quality finally), the warning label specifies HeNe but doesn't have a wavelength. I gently tried to unscrew round end caps but they feel tight, I don't want to risk scratching it up.

2n66cqp.jpg

21qtsg.jpg

30dghhz.jpg

in7onm.jpg

2rxux6c.jpg

Hi Foxtrot824:

The Danger label states that is using a Class 3B Helium—Neon laser designed to emit a red beam with a wavelength about 633nm, and an optical power between 5 to 499.9 mW. Other members would probably have a better idea of its intended power and purpose. I hope that this is helpful. Please Take Care. :D

-cd

Last edited:
Yeah, it's definitely a He-Ne laser tube. The mirrors are part of the tube and can't be knocked out of alignment without damaging the tube. It likely has the same little tube as the Uniphase Novette. I sent one of those to Vortish several years ago. They have a tiny, 6 inch, tube rated at 0.5 W to 1 mW.

Nah it's bigger than that by appearance? It looks like it'a about a 2-4mW tube or so. you can measure the length to find out.

Edit: looking closer it appears to be about the length of 4x 9VDC batts? (5cm/2in or so each) so maybe it is just a little 6-8in tube. so probably about 1-2mW or so in power. likely at 4 or so mA at about 1500VDC with an 8K starting pulse.

Last edited:
I'm certain you meant to say 1 to 2 mW, not 1-2W, Matt. I'm a little surprised they can start and run this off two 9 volt batteries. I wonder how long it will run before the batteries discharge?

For what it's worth I measured the voltage across the two contact of the connector on the laser and saw an 18v potential, then measured the current across the contacts (turning on the laser in the process) and saw about 625mA with a slow climb. So at those currents (assuming that's the current into the system) I'm guessing a 9v won't live too long under continuous use.

I'm certain you meant to say 1 to 2 mW, not 1-2W, Matt. I'm a little surprised they can start and run this off two 9 volt batteries. I wonder how long it will run before the batteries discharge?

yes. fixed. I missed that typo when I proofread. My bad. and yeah you can run HeNes off of batteries. though they Dont usually last too long depending on the type. I have run a few small ones off of small 12V SLA cells.

For what it's worth I measured the voltage across the two contact of the connector on the laser and saw an 18v potential, then measured the current across the contacts (turning on the laser in the process) and saw about 625mA with a slow climb. So at those currents (assuming that's the current into the system) I'm guessing a 9v won't live too long under continuous use.

If it even ran at all. Many of the supplies that ran with those little ones are 18-24V instead of 9-12V. if it's drawing about half an amp then that sounds about right. Probably done for having a reasonable lifespan. I have one that runs off of a single 12V cell at 1.2A or so, and the cell is only like 1.21Ah, so it doesn't last very long before I need to stop it and recharge it so it doesn't deep cycle.

9Vs aren't the best batteries for stuff like this, but they were fairly common and easy to replace on a whim back then, so it wasn't uncommon to see something like that that used in them. They're technically not all 1 battery but lots of little ones crammed into one casing, so they dont tend to discharge evenly, which can make them a bit finicky for high demand applications. They probably took the higher voltage route to make the current draw lower on the batteries, so that they would last longer, as 9Vs hate being under high current draw for long periods. most supply bricks I see are usually 9 or 12 or 24VDC. Makes me curious what they crammed into that little thing for powering it.

Last edited: