Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help finding visible modulated diode

Yaqov

I am trying to find a laser diode, around 35-100mw (r, g, or b), that can be modulated for a variety of neat effects.

TTL lasers can only be on and off so I would probably need analog modulation for a wide range of dimming capabilities - unless pulse width modulation is what I would want to use.

Also what defines the dimming range that a laser can display? Is it min and max voltage? wattage?

Anyone have links to some diodes for this purpose?

ARG

The single mode 638nm, 660nm, 450nm and 520nm diodes we know and love can all modulate, no special diode needed.
What you do need is a driver with support for analog modulation. The TLL/Analog driver market has changed quite a bit since last I saw so I don't know what's available at the moment.

As for dimming range, what do you mean? How many steps (different levels) of dimming there is, or how bright/dim the diode can go?

Here's were to buy the diodes:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

Yaqov

By dimming range I mean a low minimum input power and high maximum input power; kinda like dimming an incandescent bulb. Are there some lasers that have wider power ranges than others or generally would it be pretty limited?

How can I determine this range on the links you posted?

Last edited:

DrSid

TTL modulation is feature of driver, not laser itself. All diode or diode pumped lasers cam be modulated to any power. The output is almost linear with input current. Only problem is that there is some low current limit, at which the laser stops lasing. It's usually under 10% of maximum power, so it does not limit you much.
So what you need is driver, which allows analog modulation. Like this one:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/FlexModP3.php