Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help finding my mw

So I purchased the laser off of this website
https://burninglaserpointer.com/lucinda-200mw-405nm-purple-laser-pointer-with-burning-ability.html
But upon receiving it I began to question wether it really was a 200mw because it appears to be just a cheap Laser 303 I could buy off eBay for 7-8$. I do not have the money for a laser power meter but maybe someone can give me a estimate of the mw of this laser by telling you what it’s able to burn?
The laser has been focused correctly for the following tests.
It is able to make soft black plastics steam and leave behind small marks on them.
Not able to light a candle on fire.
It is able to light a match but it takes very long.
Pops balloons from a focused distance 2-5 inch away from the aperture depending on how I focused it, cannot pop balloons when UN focused and far away.
Will not do anything to any other materials such as wood or light colored plastics.
Please help I feel as if I’ve been scammed 16$ when I could’ve got the same laser off eBay for 8$.

Nexgen

It’s around 40-80mw. They won’t put higher power 405nm diodes in 303 laser. You can get same from eBay way cheaper. Site is scam. Next time avoid those resell sites.

I wouldn’t suggest messing around with those 303 lasers, as for entry level laser, it’s a good choice. Make sure you have safety glasses for your laser. Even if you are doing burn test.

Last edited:

Gazen

It’s the same as a $10 303 from eBay, that is not a reputable website. Judging from the difficulty lighting a match, it’s probably under 100mW.

Make sure you have safety goggles for it, as that laser is deceptively dim because of its wavelength, but still very dangerous. If you are burning, you absolutely need goggles.

Also, please make a welcome post with a little about yourself in the welcome section.

Welcome to the forum, stay safe

Last edited:
Thanks NexGen I have contacted the company I bought it from and am asking them why they advertised it as 200mw when it is really 40-80mw. Can you recommend any EBay sellers that advertise truthfully/ are the green/blue 1 watt lasers listened on eBay for 30$ really 1 wat?

Gazen

Thanks for making a welcome post! You can put the link in your original post though, use the edit button.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of laser sellers falsely advertise. Usually, the 1 W 445nm Gatling lasers on eBay for around $50 are true to specifications, while the 532nm ones are WAY under spec, under 200mW.

Check out this review by a forum member, an advertised 1W 532nm was tested to be under 200mW
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nz4wMBqNF1Q

If you want a higher quality laser, consult this thread:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f41/guide-company-should-i-buy-97936.html

Jetlasers and Sanwu lasers are good to buy fully built lasers from, if you want to build your own survivallasers and Dtr’s lasershop are great.

Last edited:
Yes, you paid double the price for the same laser on eBay. Live and learn. At least it didn't cost you $50.00. That would have been embarrassing.

Don't feel too bad man, I was for far too long in the phase of believing in those cheap sites, despite all the warnings I heard! When the laser bug bites and you find sources that seem legit with good pricing, it's hard not to click that buy button! Check out Sanwu lasers. They have the highest quality 303's. Still not the best constructed laser as they do not build them themselves, but they do get the most top of the line ones you can get! I got their violet one for under $20 and it's 130mW. Lights matches instantly, pops balloons unfocused, and can etch wood :) I'd recommend getting that along with safety goggles (that's an ABSOLUTE must!!) & If you still think you wanna be in this hobby, then check out their lasers that they actually make! I'd trust either their quality or that of a reputable member on here before I ever searched for a laser distributor again. There's always laser glow or optotronics, but you'll be spending a small fortune. Dragon lasers is decent too, but again, I recommend Sanwu or a member here! Just please please please remember these are not toys and with improper use, you'll help the man get one step closer to banning this hobby for all of us D: hope that didn't sound rude; I'm just looking out! I made the mistake of posting a video without safety goggles & got torn a new one. But I totally deserved that! Safety is number one priority when dealing with highly powered perfectly coherent photons moving in a single file line ;) welcome to the forums bud! Hope you stick around!!!

Thanks! Those blue 50$ 1 Watt lasers seem closer to the actual wattage listed I think I will purchase one of those. I am a sucker for the Gatling gun design. I also wrote a review on the scam website warning other possible buyers before purchasing that laser lol. Hopefully I can get a refund :) thanks

Gotta make sure to do ya homework before purchasing lasers just based on the listed wattage. That business is making a killing scamming people like that with 100% margins.

Thanks! Those blue 50$ 1 Watt lasers seem closer to the actual wattage listed I think I will purchase one of those. I am a sucker for the Gatling gun design. I also wrote a review on the scam website warning other possible buyers before purchasing that laser lol. Hopefully I can get a refund :) thanks

Just remember that Gatling laser will only have about a 30 second duty cycle. That's more so to make sure the lens doesn't warp since most likely it'll be acrylic. But hey maybe I'm wrong and it'll have a glass lens! That might up ya to 45-60 seconds :)

Yes, I have learned to not fall for those cheap sites. I love this hobby, it’s the only hobby that doesn’t require extensive time or knowledge just pure fun. Do you think safety glasses would be a must with my current laser? I’ve done quite a bit of burning tests already with it, should I be worried? Thanks for the advice, I totally agree I get angry too when a few stupid kids shine there laser at a plane and then the states ban lasers over 100 mw. (I read an article on this forgot what state it was). I am hoping to either buy a Sanwu pocket laser or one of the Blue Gatling gun 1 watt lasers off eBay because other members have said those are close to there listing wattage. Thanks for all your help :)

Yes, I have learned to not fall for those cheap sites. I love this hobby, it’s the only hobby that doesn’t require extensive time or knowledge just pure fun. Do you think safety glasses would be a must with my current laser? I’ve done quite a bit of burning tests already with it, should I be worried? Thanks for the advice, I totally agree I get angry too when a few stupid kids shine there laser at a plane and then the states ban lasers over 100 mw. (I read an article on this forgot what state it was). I am hoping to either buy a Sanwu pocket laser or one of the Blue Gatling gun 1 watt lasers off eBay because other members have said those are close to there listing wattage. Thanks for all your help :)

Anything above 5mW is a safety goggles must!!! Especially with 405nm lasers since they're not very bright to our eyes. But anything above 5mW can do permanent eye damage; including reflections & even just staring at the dot!

Do most laser 303s come with glass or acrylic lenses I’m looking at mine right now and it has glass. If most 303s do come with acrylic it could be a sign that I really do have something higher quality than the standard 303 which is why it costs so much. Thanks for the warning about the duty cycle especially with the fact that you don’t have to hold down a button constantly to keep those on. Also random question: you know of anywhere I can get a light saber attachment for my 303 (if I am not able to return it that would be a nice add on). Thx :)

Should I not continue to use my laser until I get safety goggles? Also many websites say if your careful you don’t need safety glasses for 40 mw and below? Could there be any permanent damage to my eyes already done? Kinda got me worried :/

Last edited:
Do most laser 303s come with glass or acrylic lenses I’m looking at mine right now and it has glass. If most 303s do come with acrylic it could be a sign that I really do have something higher quality than the standard 303 which is why it costs so much. Thanks for the warning about the duty cycle especially with the fact that you don’t have to hold down a button constantly to keep those on. Also random question: you know of anywhere I can get a light saber attachment for my 303 (if I am not able to return it that would be a nice add on). Thx :)

Sanwu has the lightsaber attachment for the 303's! & How do you know it's glass? I'm pretty sure they all use acrylic... Acrylic lenses give a great beam profile & under 200mW I don't think there's much risk of them melting. Again though, I never know! Plus there are tons on tons of companies we've probably never heard of mass producing 303's. I actually do think a site called Lazerer (not around anymore) made their own 303's with glass lenses...