Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help finding Long Distance Laser

LaserRanger

I surely hope we are not in the midst of another flat earther here. That is so ridiculous it rarely, if ever, occurs to me. It is a shame that a generation of people in this country are lacking in the education to understand and are so skeptical of science that people are still debating whether CO2 emissions are the cause of climate change. Neil deGrasse Tyson was on Night Line on PBS again recently making this very point.

I feel ashamed at my generation... I find it hard to believe that the majority of people my age don't even know what the Holocaust is/was.. It's as hard for me to think that they are that ignorant as it is for some to believe the earth is not a spheroid shape

I'd like to think that it's not that bad - but you're both worryingly right there...

Anyway - off topic. If this is Flat Earth related, I'm going to take a punt (hopefully) that OP is trying to prove a Flat Earther wrong and relieve them of a few quid in the process. Always give the benefit of the doubt right??

It's a big ask that divergence figure. Good luck in finding what you are looking for OP.

Last edited:
As I recall, the flat earthers that use a laser to "prove" their point is always above the horizon. This has been their common mistake in past experiments.

Hey Jack-

No offence intended ..BUT did/do you considier yourself to be a LPF 'newcomer;'
or (LOL) you a returning 'banned' member? haha JK

BUT we actually like hearing a bit more from firsttimers & that is, frankly, good forum manners (btw) AND we ,in some cases cannot answer some Qs if we have NO CLUE where the heck you are> >(*u*)<

Never too late to make a good 'impression' here.. I highly suggest that the title of your 'into' placed in the 'WELCOME' section is like MANY you can read there, as a guideline. They put their location IN THE TITLE (please) of their intro..why? because we could be a million miles away OR live just down the street from you..that HAS happened. We no longer can read your location under your username every time you post.

. NOW we must got to YOUR 'home page' to see IF you finished your profile by adding your location. ( Or run an addy check of your ISP[so be honest ])----& we would rather not do that..

AND ...you did not add your location==
which makes you another pita. (but fixable)
This request is NOT unusual..... at MANY forums.. THEY will not let you 'join'(in the fun) until you make an intro. WE would hope that we must not be that way. You may want to actually read the stickies in that section(WELCOME) OR any other section BEFORE questions are asked.. we 'gots lotsa' lasers to build.. and hardly ANY questions have never been asked. MOST here just do not have time for chitchats.

enjoy LPM-- hakzaw in South Texas!!

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish, and how have you settled on this specification, and this specification alone?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
weather balloon-camera(gsp) duct tape..pic of 'round' earth...but I guess they could argue that the Earth is round AND flat -like a Frisbee..

http://www.thaisrussomano.com/blog/what-can-you-do-with-a-balloon-camera-and-lots-of-duct-tape
pics there ^^^^^^
That won't work, cameras cause curvation due to the lens. ;) Every flat-earther knows that. Every camera has fish-eye lenses installed obviously. :D

Look at this poor guy trying to explain to flat-earthers that lens distortion does not cause the curvature of the earth.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=53482.0

I have a 532nm Jetlasers PL-E Pro 600mW I would be willing to part with. Grab a 10x beam expander from them for $100 and you'll have yourself a divergence of at least <0.75mRad. Pm me if your interested.

Curtis that conversation on the Flat Earth Society site is painful to read. It is true that people in this country are not becoming more educated.

Anthony P

There is a NOVA special hosted by Stephen Hawking where he has a team set up level laser on the shore of a lake and then puts laser target on a boat and, eventually, a helicopter. Terrain is flat. At long distance the helicopter has to fly many feet into air to catch laser beam and even to be visible from shore.

Do you know what year this NOVA was made? I know Hawking is dead now and it's hard to believe they went to this amount of trouble to prove the earth isn't flat. ROTF.

Anthony P

Do you know what year this NOVA was made? I know Hawking is dead now and it's hard to believe they went to this amount of trouble to prove the earth isn't flat. ROTF.
Did some checking. It was not actually NOVA. There is a youtube video version called "Flat Earth Crushed by Discovery Chanel" It is from episode 6 of the seies called Genius.

Encap

Well, it actually IS that way. A rather fat, almost spherical frisbee, I must confess.
;)

LOL spherical frisbee??
Real world, not even close to a Frisbee shape -- the latest measurements indicate that the Earth has an equatorial diameter of 12,756 km (7926 mi), and a polar diameter of 12713.6 km (7899.86 mi) ---the Earth at the equator is about 43 kilometers (27 mi) larger than the pole-to-pole diameter.
The equatorial circumference of Earth is about 24,901 miles (40,075 km). However, from pole-to-pole — the meridional circumference — Earth is only 24,860 miles (40,008 km) around.

See: https://www.space.com/17638-how-big-is-earth.html

Last edited:
The equatorial circumference of Earth is about 24,901 miles (40,075 km). However, from pole-to-pole — the meridional circumference — Earth is only 24,860 miles (40,008 km) around.
You name it. It is "flattened". Both "round and flat". It is squashed "flat" by 63km/Pi = 20km or a whopping 0.17% :p

Just like a frisbee, but a little less. :ROFLMAO:

And it lacks a hollow bottom, as our australian friends eventually might confirm. So the similarity with a frisbee is indeed limited.

But you might get a glimpse of Great A'Tuin if you climb on the equatorial rim, looking down the abyss.