Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help deciding: 445nm or 462nm for first burner

Re: Portable Lasers: 456nm vs. 463nm

Sure do!

With those two all you have to do is:
-Disassemble host and remove heatsink
-Clip and strip wires
-Solder two wires from the module (driver) to the two wires from the heatsink (contact board)
-Insert module into heatsink
-Tighten screw
-Reassemble host

Shouldn't take more than 15min ;)
Just make sure you grab the correct kit from DTR and that it's not case positive (few diodes are).

with regards to the 501B plug and burns:

I think it's better to remove the battery contact board from the heat sink. then slide in the module, and shorten the leads. I thinks it's better to desolder the leads the kit comes with and solder the shortened module wires to the contact board instead, otherwise you'll be connecting wires after trying to shorten them quite a bit. there is not enough room in the heatsink for the module and a bunch of wire, which is why I say remove the leads that come with the contact board. the modules can slide through the heatsink either way, so it's possible to solder very short module wires to the board, then slide the module through the back of the heatsink lens first, and push until the copper module is flush. set the set screw. then resnap the board to the heatsink, which can actually be kind of a PITA.

I also recommend getting some thermal adhesive like arctica alumina to put some around the module before sliding it in to the heatsink and before setting the set screw, to improve contact and thus heat transfer between the module and heatsink. however if you do this and ever need to remove the module, you may need a module extractor, like flaminpyro sells

you can PM me if you have any questions or need help

Last edited:

Thanks for the explinations guys. I'm going to be looking for a kit very soon now. I just hope that when I get home and the kit comes in, I'll have the paitence to stop and post a question/wait for a reply before getting antsy and messing it all up. I'm only full of paitence when nothing is going on. As soon as the work starts, I have a hard time stopping until it's done... (I've just always been that way. Maybe I'll mess up a few kits and my wallet will yell at me to slow down!) :oops::oops::oops::twak:

3 of my 5 builds were in Mrcrouse hosts and I recently purchases another one for my next build hopefully next month. They are certainly easy to work with and there is an impressive variety to choose from or you can even have something completely custom made. Some are small and cheap and some are very large so some of the small ones may not have lots of space but most are OK and most are designed so you can't accidently twist your wires, there may be a couple of exceptions but most are idiot proof.

Alan

with regards to the 501B plug and burns:

I think it's better to remove the battery contact board from the heat sink. then slide in the module, and shorten the leads. I thinks it's better to desolder the leads the kit comes with and solder the shortened module wires to the contact board instead, otherwise you'll be connecting wires after trying to shorten them quite a bit. there is not enough room in the heatsink for the module and a bunch of wire, which is why I say remove the leads that come with the contact board. the modules can slide through the heatsink either way, so it's possible to solder very short module wires to the board, then slide the module through the back of the heatsink lens first, and push until the copper module is flush. set the set screw. then resnap the board to the heatsink, which can actually be kind of a PITA.

I also recommend getting some thermal adhesive like arctica alumina to put some around the module before sliding it in to the heatsink and before setting the set screw, to improve contact and thus heat transfer between the module and heatsink. however if you do this and ever need to remove the module, you may need a module extractor, like flaminpyro sells

you can PM me if you have any questions or need help

Yeah, there's that. I didn't recommend removing the board because it might be hard for him to reattach properly (without risking shorting the battery later on). TBH I did remove and reattach on one of my builds and I still fear the board might get loose eventually :/

I don't think thermal adhesive is needed. I just use regular CPU thermal paste, which is easy to remove. And only on higher powers.

Last edited:

I don't think thermal adhesive is needed. I just use regular CPU thermal paste, which is easy to remove. And only on higher powers.

On the note of all this soldering:
I'm going to have to buy a soldering iron (as I have never needed one before, so I never got around to buying one).
Could I just walk into Radio Shack and ask them to "gimme what they got"?
Or, what do you guys recommend? I'm sure there are different size/style ones out there and with zero soldering xp, I would hate to buy one and then realize it's tip is too fat for the work I'll need to do, or something...:thinking:

On the note of all this soldering:
I'm going to have to buy a soldering iron (as I have never needed one before, so I never got around to buying one).
Could I just walk into Radio Shack and ask them to "gimme what they got"?
Or, what do you guys recommend? I'm sure there are different size/style ones out there and with zero soldering xp, I would hate to buy one and then realize it's tip is too fat for the work I'll need to do, or something...:thinking:

If you get a cheap one 30W will do, that's what I have been using since my old one from Radio Shack gave out, and I bought it at Walmart. If you buy a good one then get one where you can adjust the temperature and comes with a variety of tips.

Alan

Hey, guys:
You all helped me out here in this thread I started the other day. Thank you for that. However, I goofed on the title (as you all know) and would either like to know how to change that or delete this thread as it is no longer needed and was not entirely legitimate to begin with. Any suggestions? At the least, I'd like to change the title to something a bit more relevant. :anyone::takeit:

Last edited:

Teej

In addition to the above excellent advice you've received...

Get BLACK balloons too...and use them first.

This is because the black is less reflective, and, will pop the easiest with the least reflection back at you...so, overall, its harder to "screw up".

The lighter the color, generally, and the shinier, the harder they are to pop as they don't absorb as much energy....and, do bounce more light back at you, etc.

I recommend getting a variety of colors, including blues, so you can see the differences first hand.

:beer:

Last edited:

you can edit posts, and go advanced to change thread names of threads you started. also, double posting is usually a bad thing, unless bumping. rather than double post if not bumping, just edit the old post to include the new one's info

tonez

Very interesting story's on here, I dig the bear stuff.. You Alaskans are brave. I love the wilderness here in Colorado, but the thought of living in Alaska just kinda boggles me. haha

Anyways I don't mean to hijack, but I am also very interested in the 445 and 462nm laser. Somebody on here already answered to which is brighter per mW thank you. I just saw that Scifi has a sale going on that you might be interested in Master Philip. $200 sounds like a good deal. I'm also debating this option unless someone steers me in a different direction. Like US based options for that price range. Arcane 2.0 462nm

Last edited:
Very interesting story's on here, I dig the bear stuff.. You Alaskans are brave. I love the wilderness here in Colorado, but the thought of living in Alaska just kinda boggles me. haha

Anyways I don't mean to hijack, but I am also very interested in the 445 and 462nm laser. Somebody on here already answered to which is brighter per mW thank you. I just saw that Scifi has a sale going on that you might be interested in Master Philip. $200 sounds like a good deal. I'm also debating this option unless someone steers me in a different direction. Like US based options for that price range. Arcane 2.0 462nm

I think there are diodes that output 465+nm now. 470nm if you drive it hard enough.

This thread is 9 months old and Master Phillip hasn't been on for 3 1/2 months now, hopefully he's just busy working in some remote oil drilling site and hasn't been eaten by a bear. I agree the Arcane 462nm at $200 is a good deal, the 462nm I am about to build will cost me $208 for all the parts.

I think there are diodes that output 465+nm now. 470nm if you drive it hard enough.

Yes that's right, the 9mm 462nm can be way overdriven and shift wavelength, and the new more powerful 465nm can do 470nm. I doubt you can see a difference between 462 and 465nm but I am sure you could see their difference with 470nm.

Alan

This thread is 9 months old and Master Phillip hasn't been on for 3 1/2 months now, hopefully he's just busy working in some remote oil drilling site and hasn't been eaten by a bear. I agree the Arcane 462nm at $200 is a good deal, the 462nm I am about to build will cost me $208 for all the parts.

Yes that's right, the 9mm 462nm can be way overdriven and shift wavelength, and the new more powerful 465nm can do 470nm. I doubt you can see a difference between 462 and 465nm but I am sure you could see their difference with 470nm.

Alan

Hey guys. Sorry that I've pretty much abandoned this place lately. I just finished going through a divorce and have been very busy and drained (both financially and mentally). I bought the Jet Laser PL-E Pro 462nm 1.7W and am still in love with it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But, I've never heard anything bad about those other ones.
Unfortunately, I am still a noob in the laser world as my personal life has been stealing most of my free time and I haven't been aloting any of it towards lasers. Anyways, I would most definitely go with 462 over 445. I apologize for neglecting my place here.

Last edited:

tonez

Not a problem man, very sorry to hear your struggle. That's a pretty ruff time for you and best wishes on the outcome. I have a few others I know going through the same right now and I feel for ya.
I also apologize for bringing this old thread back to life which I didn't see dates until Pi squared said something. whoops. Hated to start something new when it's already here tho.