Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help building a very powerful Handheld green laser

Switch

Re: Help building a very powerful Handheld green l

Um yea....I'm not gonna spend $120 on something that's going to be grinded up in the lathe :D

diachi

maybe someone already has one ?

why not buy a decent green module from sandstone for 12-30 dollars depending on power and go from there!

JLSE

It takes time, money, reading, trying, frustration, arguments with yourself, more reading, more money, an angry wife ;), sleepless nights, and more money!

I had invested a ton prior to my first attemp at a higher power green. Start on dx with their cheapest greens, buy a decent set of OD-4 goggles for 808nm+/-10, and begin killing green lasers by the dozens. Learn by trying to rebuild each one from pieces. Or do what I did and rip each one to pieces, separate all the parts into their respective categories (mix em up) and then start building.

If you prefer to jump right in, its going to cost more in the long run. You can have a look at my first green labby with a 1 watt pump from snoctony on ebay.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210699419/15

BTW, whats with all the no, no, no you cant on this forum? If you try hard enough ANYONE CAN! The question is, do you have the time and the patience?

^I don't think it's so much "no, no, you can't" as it is "if you have to ask, you probably can't".

At least that's what my reaction is, that if you know little enough to have to ask what parts you need, then you probably aren't in the realm of being able to do it. Kind of a new take on the old adage for really expensive stuff, that if you have to ask then you probably can't afford it. I just think anyone with the abilities, skills, and resources to do such things probably already knows what abilities, skills, and resources are required. This doesn't hold true for things like red lasers, and now violet lasers. Those have gotten to the level that even cavemen can handle it; but for green, I think it does.

would you be worried if someone new came to the forum asking how to build a nuclear bomb?

HA! it cant be done... ::)

...or can it?

In theory, a nuclear bomb isn't that hard. Just get a mass of plutonium, and implode it in on itself with high explosives. Alternatively, get weapons-grade uranium (90% or so U-235), and fashion it into 2 hemispheres, each of which are sub-critical, and are separated from each other in some sort of housing. Then use some high explosives to propel/compress the two hemispheres into one another. Those were the designs of the two bombs that were actually dropped on Japan.

The theory isn't really all that hard, you can learn all the physics without much trouble, these days. In the 1940s, with no textbooks, computers, and the physics not existing yet or being written yet, it was tough. But nowadays, really the only HARD part of the wh0ole thing is getting the plutonium or the uranium.

I mean, it's not trivial to assemble one even with all the ingredients on hand, but the theories and design principles aren't that bad at all.

JLSE

I didnt even know what a greenie looked like internally, last October  :-/
I got into Lasers in greater detail before finding this forum, but not greenies.
After lurking here for a bit, and READING plently, I began the journey :) I had no idea what I was doing and started with nothing.  So I dont see why anyone else couldn't, granted they were absolutely serious about it, and put in the hours like I have. Now if its a desire to build a green to save a few bucks, good luck ;) it aint gonna happen.

I was simply suggesting a little more encouragement, love the A-Bomb comparison though ::)

Switch

I still didn't see anyone doing a huge laserscope type greenie ::) I'd like to see that happen and then we could just request videos of it, like we did with cyparagon's CO[sub]2[/sub] :D

JLSE

Switch said:
I still didn't see anyone doing a huge laserscope type greenie ::) I'd like to see that happen and then we could just request videos of it, like we did with cyparagon's CO[sub]2[/sub] :D

I took a break from the greens for a while, which in my world means my next attempt will always be better. Whenever I try something different, I make sure I can do it and prove it to myself. Then I 'backburner' the project, sharpen my abilities, come back and have some more fun ;)

My next attempt will be with a c-mount 2watt pump. Right now im into the whole boost circuit thing, so the c-mount has been put on hold. :-[

BTW- did you ever try gluing the flies to the match sticks? There werent many flies around this year, I wanted to do a video of it for my old thread :)

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1200634353/0

diachi

Nice DIY wannaburn when I said

Only a select few of the most experienced DIYrs on this forum have acheived DIY green .

You were the one I was thinking of  ;)

-Adam

JLSE

Diachi said:
Nice DIY wannaburn when I said

Only a select few of the most experienced DIYrs on this forum have acheived DIY green .

You were the one I was thinking of  ;)

-Adam

LOL, not just your average reseller ::)

diachi

;D

What host you going to use for the 2W c-mount when you get that sorted?? are you going to custom build a host ?

Uhrin

I have access to a full machine shop. I have a lot of experience in machiening. I only need to know how big to build the case. I'm only thinking about going for a 250, not a 500, that was a joke. Will this work? Or should I go for a red first?

JLSE

Uhrin said:
I have access to a full machine shop. I have a lot of experience in machiening. I only need to know how big to build the case. I'm only thinking about going for a 250, not a 500, that was a joke. Will this work? Or should I go for a red first?

It is always a good idea to start with reds. Their cheap to build, and its better to make the inevitable mistakes with them. Plus there is less involved with the reds, so its more or less getting the hands on idea of things. The parts for green are also cheap if you start with a site like DX but the reds are still cheaper.

Machining is the abolute last step, but is certainly important if you get into c-mounts. Get the hang of things, and spend every waking moment on the forum reading. If 532nm is want you desire most, and seemingly is ;) Read over the many pages at  sams faq. Start with this http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserpic/glpdpics.htm

Reading is the key. Buy a cheap greenie for $20, and get an idea what your dealing with. And dont forget the goggles! If you dont have them you will be putting your eyes at serious risk. Even the lowest output greens on DX use a 250mW pump diode. You will be exposing yourself to these powers during alignment of the pump medium, optics, etc. There is no way around it, I got a pair of OD4 goggles for $40. shipped on ebay same as these. They even block 830nm very well, as tested with my sony nighshot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/808nm-laser-pro...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Diachi said:
;D

What host you going to use for the 2W c-mount when you get that sorted?? are you going to custom build a host ?

Im still debating it, im thinking of buying a milling machine first. The cmount can be fitted with parts machind on my lathe, but with a mill a nice cozy fit can be achieved. Those little buggers get hot, and if my next c-mount purchase is going to be 5W, im going to need the practice ;D