Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello

Long-time lurker, recently signed up just to leave some photos of my dead green pointer that I dis-assembled. After studying the forum I have decided it is not worth fixing. I put the photos in an album on my profile.

The pointer was a cheap one, $15 US. I have had it for several years. The pointer worked for about 5 minutes then faded. I thought batteries? I changed them. The pointer would spit a few green photons then die. Sometimes I could shake the pointer and it would emit a faint green dot with no visible beam then die. Others it would be a bright green dot before dying. I though bad connection somewhere. I tossed it into the pen holder on my desk and every now and then I would drag it out and fiddle with it.

Being a mechanic, it is my nature to try and repair broken machinery. So I had to try first. At least tear it apart to see what made it tick.

When the Laser first stopped working, I Googled stuff like 'green laser not working'. With those early answers I learned about the IR pump diode. Oops. Too late. I had already glanced into the end of the LASER and saw the faint red glow. So, I knew not to do that again and that the laser was, somewhat, still electrically alive. If only I could figure out how to open it. I still thought I was dealing with a connection issue.

This year while recovering from a heart attack I had plenty of time on my hands. With Sams Laser FAQ at hand I clamped the nose in a small vise and began warming the body with a heat gun while applying a twisting motion with a pair of pliers. It broke free and I discovered the laser was just press fit into the body, held tight by a small bead on the cap male end. From there the individual pieces just screwed off. In order there was the end cap, a single lens assembly, the crystal module, the diode\power supply. By now the LD was still 'working' (viewed with a digital camera) but it no longer spit any green photons.

Then I stumbled upon this forum. The Search function does work. While I don't really know why the Laser does not function, I learned enough that it is probably a moot point to try and resurrect it. Thanks for the info. I'll leave the photos of the disassembled laser here for posterity.

7391-view-into-cavity-under-power-purple-ir.jpg

The Laser cavity bathed in infrared from the pump. The wires from the post to the diode are visible as two dark streaks to the left of the bright spot on the left of the LD.
7390-another-view-into-cavity-under-power-lights-out-annotated.jpg

The diode assembly.
7401-very-close-view-diode-s-i-notice-ld-has-three-pads-its-top-two-connected-post-one-small-one-jumped-top-rear-pad.jpg

This is the pump and crystal assembly before I separated them, probably destroying the critical alignment. However, the nut holding the module was loose and the module would 'twist' so I now suspect that looseness led to the laser becoming misaligned, and why shaking it would sometimes get it to spit some green.
7394-green-laser-module-annotated.jpg

Last edited:

Welcom to the forum, i too have recently blown a green diode. I was soldering the leads to a driver and must've had the iron on too long. Now just a faint red dot :(... anyways welcome and enjoy your stay

Nice macro pics. Thanks for sharing...:beer:

That being said...

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Sig if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

BTW... Any new members that feel is a wasteful to
to search for answers to their questions that are
easily found on the Forum can contact/PM member
Eudaimonium here..

PM Eudaimonium

He has graciously offered to answer ALL questions
from ALL new members that can't find their answers
on the Forum or Google....

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

I realize now how far behind LASER times I am. Red and Green was all that was available when I got the green pointer. Doesn't seem like I have had it that long :thinking:. Wow! A whole spectrum is available now. I must get my head out from under the hoods more often.