Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello

atwola

Hello everybody,

I'm completely new to the topic of lasers (laser-pointers don't count) and gained interest in this topic, because of a video on youtube, where a match is lit by a handheld laser ::)

It is obvious that handheld lasers can produce a high temperature on a small point, which is an ability I could need for some of my biological work, but I never thought of that before.

I will read some time and then ask some things propably :-D

Regards
atwola (Student, Germany)

S

SenKat

Welcome to LPF, Atwola ! You will learn much if you read LOTS ! :)

Things

welcome to the forum! ;) you can find all those answers and more here!

welcome, atwola :) for biological work, heating things up etc, would you need a very stable (power wise) rate of heat? if so, perhaps lab lasers would be better for your work than handhelds, which can fluctuate quite a bit (constant +/- 15mW type fluctuations aren't at all uncommon)...

atwola

for biological work, heating things up etc, would you need a very stable (power wise) rate of heat? if so, perhaps lab lasers would be better for your work than handhelds, which can fluctuate quite a bit (constant +/- 15mW type fluctuations aren't at all uncommon)...

You think too professional ;-)

I know the real cool guys have big UV lasers which can do all kind of tricks (very wide focussing, adjust output power in 0.x mW range, up to 10W, etc.). Dependent on what you do you are right about the stability of the output.

But I'm only a student assistant and I would use it to kill certain parts of fungi quickly. This is dependent on the temperature (50°C are usually enough) and should be no problem for a PPL or RPL if they light matches...

Try it at home. Execute all your mushrooms in the garden with your laser and send a video ;D
But perhaps they even have too much water in them...

Regards
atwola

I wonder if a blue laser will make honey fungus, Armillaria flourece.....
I will have to give it a try.... when I have built it :)

Welcome to the forum by the way

Regards rog8811

atwola said:
You think too professional ;-)

I know the real cool guys have big UV lasers which can do all kind of tricks (very wide focussing, adjust output power in 0.x mW range, up to 10W, etc.). Dependent on what you do you are right about the stability of the output.

But I'm only a student assistant and I would use it to kill certain parts of fungi quickly. This is dependent on the temperature (50°C are usually enough) and should be no problem for a PPL or RPL if they light matches...

Try it at home. Execute all your mushrooms in the garden with your laser and send a video ;D
But perhaps they even have too much water in them...

Regards
atwola

an RPL/PPL at 200+ or 260+ would likely get the job done, even something like a nova X-105 *might* do the job, if the fungus is pretty dark (my X-105 equivalent will burn thin dark plastic pretty quick, or matches with black marker pen on them)

atwola

Yes, the objects are often black or grey. The distance between laser-aperture and object is very small, too, so it should work.

If not I have a new toy anyway...