Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello!!

I am Chris from sweden :)
just bought a 30mW laser for 50$ from a guy a worlds biggest LAN party here in sweden, Dreamhack, so cool :)
the guy that sold it to me said that I was able to open it up and crank it up to 50mW, but i just cant get the thing open!!! any ideas? it looks just like this one: Powershot 50mW

Attachments

• STY-LASER-3-50_0L.JPG
    STY-LASER-3-50_0L.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 135

Things

Welcome to the forum! ;) Thats a newwish laser, you can get them from www.dealextreme.comaswell. just search around the forum on how to open it up, but basically the silver end cap is press fitted in. :)

Welcome to the forum!
First off... Newwish lasers are notorious for their lack of IR filters. Green lasers, to put it VERY simply, use an IR diode (80nm) which pumps 2 chemically doped crystals to change the wavelength to 532nm. (green) (Anyone else care to post the full names of the crystals? I can only remember the abbreviations. :-[ ) However, the crystals are quite inefficient, and leave a large amount of residual IR. Filters are usually employed to drastically reduce the amount of IR, but with the lack of a filter, you're probably getting a good 100mWs MINIMUM of IR just bouncing around. Radiation is still radiation, whether it's invisible or not... and IR is particularly harmful.

Of you want a GOOD laser, I suggest www.novalasers.com. Steer clear of Wicked Lasers, Tech Lasers, and Dragon Lasers.
Have fun, and safe lasering! :)

King_K

mr_munchies said:
(Anyone else care to post the full names of the crystals? I can only remember the abbreviations. :-[ )
Nd:YVO4: Neodymium doped Yttrium Ortovanadate - Halves frequency from 808nm to 1064nm.
KTP: Potassium Titanyl Phosphate - Doubles frequency from 1064 to 532nm.

IR filter - Blocks the residual 808nm and 1064nm.

Oh, by the way, NewWish lasers do have IR filters, but they still leak a large amount of IR compared to other lasers.

Steer clear of Techlasers, their prices are cheaper than Laserglow, but the only way it could be cheaper is the fact that they are just fake copies, like fake rolexs

King K said:
[quote author=mr_munchies link=1196694870/0#2 date=1196736389](Anyone else care to post the full names of the crystals? I can only remember the abbreviations. :-[ )
Nd:YVO4: Neodymium doped Yttrium Ortovanadate - Halves frequency from 808nm to 1064nm.
KTP: Potassium Titanyl Phosphate - Doubles frequency from 1064 to 532nm.

IR filter - Blocks the residual 808nm and 1064nm.

Oh, by the way, NewWish lasers do have IR filters, but they still leak a large amount of IR compared to other lasers.[/quote]

It's Yttrium OrtHovanadate... and it doesn't halve the frequency. It doesn't act at all like a frequency doubler crystal, more like a diode pumped 1064nm laser, as it simply absorbs the 808nm then lases at 1064nm itself, like in a pulsed rod laser.
or something like that.

welcome! what was dreamhack like, ive always wanted to go to that :p

King_K

BlueFusion said:
It's Yttrium OrtHovanadate... and it doesn't halve the frequency. It doesn't act at all like a frequency doubler crystal, more like a diode pumped 1064nm laser, as it simply absorbs the 808nm then lases at 1064nm itself, like in a pulsed rod laser.
or something like that.
Oh yeah, my mistake, it's orthovanadate, and yeah, the only thing I knew about the Nd:YVO4 is that it lases at 1064nm on green lasers and 1342nm/1064nm on yellow lasers.

i know that wicked and dragon are overpriced, but what else is wrong with their lasers?

hey to get the dx lasers open to mod it you have to drill a hole aprox. 3-4mm above the lasers button and take a peek inside with a flashlight and you should see a small pot screw there really is no other way to open those babys up unless you want to wreck it

S

SenKat

Nope ! Well, you may wreck the "seal" but you can safely take them apart, mod them, and put them back together again. Or take them apart, fix them, and put them back together again...whichever way floats your boat :) To get them apart, use Hemlock Mike's almost patented method of using a wooden block to get the case open. Now that I have given you the key words to searc with, have at it, and learn how to safely tear into your DX laser ! :)

The top silver part, with a lot of force, comes right off. You don't wreck anything - just stick it back in later. You'll need something that will grip the top without damaging it though to pull it out.

What you're describing with upping the power is a pot mod and is a bad idea. You push the components past their threshold, like overclocking, but the components in a NewWish laser barely, if even, handle their output to begin with. Therefore, changing the pot will shorten the lifetime many times over (or you may just instantly kill it) with little more than a few mW to gain. High risk, low reward - a gamble I'd avoid if I were you.