Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello!

Encap

This is not a good idea. We've had numerous threads with people wanting to zap flying insects with lasers and the response is the same. No.
It is an impressive tracking system, but it is highly dangerous to have class 4 firing out at random insects. Take my advice and stick with other forms of mosquito killers.
The most you will get out of it is you or others having permanent eye injuries.

You are not only wanting to do a dangerous laser project, but you are also hoping to use the most dangerous visible diode available. I can see a disaster waiting to happen. Also you need laser goggles rated at OD 5 for 190-540nm. To be blunt, I do not advise you to do it. There are so many cheaper, safer and time saving alternatives to this idea.

Welcome but...

Agree 100% CurtisOliver. Good advice

Hurry: It is a not a good idea for several/many reasons, not the least of which is you don't have any money/budget, knowledge or experience with lasers, what they do, and how they work in the real world vs imagination + is of no practical value or application in the real world that would ever be allowed as a product by the FDA who regulate all laser devices even if you could get such a dangerous device to work with high speed autofocus in addition to location.

Your not the only one as you might guess many people and labratories with plenty of funding have been chasing the same idea since the 1980s --all of it has amounted to nothing beyond a laboratory novelty.

Have a look at another among many threads about the same daydream here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/eye-safe-laser-kill-mosquitoes-99773.html
Beyond that, you can use the LPF Search function at the bottom of the page see what others have said and done

Sounds likes the daydream of child or someone who spent too much time on Xbox and Playstation with too much time on their hands, , an accident looking for a place to happen, and waste of time and money--really.

Last edited:

Hurry

Welcome but...

Agree 100% CurtisOliver. Good advice

Hurry: It is a not a good idea for several/many reasons, not the least of which is you don't have any money/budget, knowledge or experience with lasers, what they do, and how they work in the real world vs imagination + is of no practical value or application in the real world that would ever be allowed as a product by the FDA who regulate all laser devices even if you could get such a dangerous device to work with high speed autofocus in addition to location.

Your not the only one as you might guess manyeople and labratories with plenty of funding have been chasing the same idea since the 1980s --all of it has amounted to nothing beyond a laboratory novelty.

Have a look at another among many threads about the same daydream here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/eye-safe-laser-kill-mosquitoes-99773.html
Beyond that, you can use the LPF Search function at the bottom of the page see what others have said and done

Sounds likes the daydream of child or someone who spent too much time on Xbox and Playstation with too much time on their hands, , an accident looking for a place to happen, and waste of time and money--really.

Thank you for all your words.
Without dreams, where we were?

You might want to reconsider that system? Even with a beam expander, that system will have to be awfully accurate to get any decent range.

Encap

Hi, yes I have asked here
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/info-optics-smaller-beam-5m-100006.html

But no useful answer for now about my question

There is no "useful", in the sense you mean, answer possible other than you would need to develop an advanced very high speed autofocus system that would focus the laser output energy on the target mosquitoe at whatever distance it is from the laser.

Divergence on high power multimode diodes is terrible especailly on a nubm44 diode - there are things you can do to improve them but you have to make a trade somewhere, either for output power or beam diameter (or both!).

Example: When using a G2 or 6mm diameter collimation lens the divergence from a NUBM44 is about 12 mRad --meaning the beam gets 12mm larger per 1 meter of travel and it is not round, it is an approx 3 X 1 rectangle to begin with.

Last edited:

Hurry

There is no "useful", in the sense you mean, answer possible other than you would need to develop an advanced very high speed autofocus system that would focus the laser output energy on the target mosquitoe at whatever distance it is from the laser.

Divergence on high power multimode diodes is terrible especailly on a nubm44 diode - there are things you can do to improve them but you have to make a trade somewhere, either for output power or beam diameter (or both!).

Example: When using a G2 or 6mm diameter collimation lens the divergence from a NUBM44 is about 12 mRad --meaning the beam gets 12mm larger per 1 meter of travel and it is not round, it is an approx 3 X 1 rectangle to begin with.

OK, so if I reduce the distance at maximum 2 meters I can obtain a good compromise between power and beam diameter, with three element lens + 3X cylindrical lens, right?

Last edited:

Encap

OK, so if I reduce the distance at maximum 2 meters I can obtain a good compromise between power and beam diameter, with three element lens + 3X cylindrical lens, right?

The problem with the NUBM44 and other wide-rectangle-beam shaped laser diodes is that one axis (horizontal or vertical) expands at a different rate than the other. So while you can make your lens focus one axis so that it doesn't diverge (much), the other axis will continue to expand. Unless you want to invest and mount and focus a cylindrical lens (pair), you'll have to live with a beam that can remain roughly the same width in only one axis.

You already have everyone's best advice about what you seem bent on doing.

Would suggest you build a handheld laser first and do the reseach and testing yourself to see what that diode is and does to test the applications possibilities.

Google the subject in general to learn more about it.

Use the LPF seach function--a lot of diode and optics specific information in the data base.

See thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/opt-lasers-cylindric-lenses-nubm44-beam-correction-tests-96445.html

Beyond that you're on your own. You can't expect very much spoon-feeding/babysitting at LPF beyond pointing in a direction.

Last edited:

Hurry

You already have everyone's best advice about what you seem bent on doing.

Would suggest you build a handheld laser first to see what that diode is and does to test the applications possibility.

Google the subject to learn more.

Use the LPF seach function--a lot of specific information in the data base.

Yes, this is what i'll do.
Yesterday i received the diode, but i don't use before that i receive the goggle, because the actual goggle is not enough protection for that diode

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    115.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170304_145059.jpg
    20170304_145059.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170226_184428.jpg
    20170226_184428.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
You picked a mighty small heat sink for this diode. That heat sink is what I use on 500 mW or less. Also, you will get better heat conductivity if you use copper instead of aluminum. At any rate, you will need a much larger heat sink if you plan on using this diode for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Hurry

You picked a mighty small heat sink for this diode. That heat sink is what I use on 500 mW or less. Also, you will get better heat conductivity if you use copper instead of aluminum. At any rate, you will need a much larger heat sink if you plan on using this diode for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Ok, I'm looking for e better heatsink.
What is the maximum operation temperature?
I have added a thermometer, so I can stop using when the temperature is reached and the fan still working to lowering the temperature

Ok, I'm looking for e better heatsink.
What is the maximum operation temperature?
I have added a thermometer, so I can stop using when the temperature is reached and the fan still working to lowering the temperature

It depends on whether you plan on using the NUBM44 or the M140. The former needs much more heat sinking than the latter. Either way, I'd use something larger and if you plan on using the NUMB44, substantially larger. The duty cycle depends on how well your set up carries heat away from the laser diode. I don't have a direct temperature for these, just a guide line. It may be that someone else can quantify the temperature for you. Good luck.

Hurry

It depends on whether you plan on using the NUBM44 or the M140. The former needs much more heat sinking than the latter. Either way, I'd use something larger and if you plan on using the NUMB44, substantially larger. The duty cycle depends on how well your set up carries heat away from the laser diode. I don't have a direct temperature for these, just a guide line. It may be that someone else can quantify the temperature for you. Good luck.

Hello

for the M140 diode i has a good hosting (like as attachment), after several minutes, the temperature is ok.

For i want to buy this for NUBM44 Heat Sink for 12 mm Modules or you know something else?

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hello

for the M140 diode i has a good hosting (like as attachment), after several minutes, the temperature is ok.

For i want to buy this for NUBM44 Heat Sink for 12 mm Modules or you know something else?

This is the setup for a lab laser. It is better than what you showed before, but the NUBM44 driven to output close to 7 watts puts out a lot of heat. If I were going to use this for that diode, I'd add a TEC to keep the temperature down. You might get by without it, but it is what I would do.