Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hello there

hi!
nice forum for laserfreaks!
great to look for additional info on diy lasers!

at work i play with nd:yag laser 2KW (laserwelding), and i got infected with this really nice thing called LASER.

now i want to make my own one, but it's hard to find the right stuff.... perhaps this forum helps me out.

just started experimenting with a diode laser from a dvd-rw player...but it's red..grrrr
please feel free to share your ideas with me...

P

Perez-Allende

KW, sounds crazy...... welcome to the forum, im not good building lasers, so I could not help

T

timelord

Welcome to our forum Wilfred 1970 take a look around in our modification & experiments area and you'll find lots to read and enjoy ;) :cool:

Things

welcome to the forum! ;) i don't think anyone here can help you build a 2KW laser, although we can help with a laser over 150mw and more ;D

yeah, i know 2000W is too much too handle ($$$$$); costs 170KiloWatts of power (in) to get a 2KW beam (out); 200L/hour cooling water. not something you place on an attic right?
diode lasers have my interest because they are simpler to get and to handle.
although i got some optics to make a homemade co2 laser.
damn! that glasswork is expensive!
Thus i stick to diodes.....
for now i only got red ones, try to get some other more exciting colors and more power.
experimenting now with lenses to bundle the beam (works with my 2kw laser at work so why not here?)

got a nice pic of my optic at work it's a 150mm focussing lens for my 2kw nd:yag laser, especially for lasing aluminium...

Attachments

• optic150.jpg
    optic150.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 77
i've not heard of laser welding before...i thought a laser would mostly just cut through stuff?

Welcome to the forum Wilfred.

marianne said:
i've not heard of laser welding before...i thought a laser would mostly just cut through stuff?

Valid point Mari, but widen the focus a bit so it is not a pinprick dot, and you will create a molten pool of metal that will fuse and weld to another piece of metal. Aluminium is traditionally welded using TIG on an AC current, to burn off the oxide that is formed. If you wanted to laser weld aluminium, I guess you would have to pulse the beam to achieve the same effect and this would of course have to be done in an inert atmosphere or a blanket of pure Argon or similar gas.

Jase

I weld alu with 2Kw CW using helium gas as protection gas; welds look smooth an needs no finishing unlike with TIG.
the reason i use another optic than the normal F200 is that F150 intensifies the beam.
i've been told by the dutch Trumpf dealer i'm the first in holland who welds aluminium ...
another misunderstanding is that co2 and yag power is the same.
not!
with 100W CO2 power you can burn/cut; with 100W yag it's a faint beam which hardly leaves any marks at steel (my experience by testing materials)

Attachments

• kuka2.jpg
    kuka2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 70