Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello jouletheif73 here.

Hi, just registered to the forum. I'm from Canada and I take huge interest in electricity/electronics (I'm a beginner hobbyist) what motivated me to take interest were YouTube videos about high powerd lasers for example the YouTuber "syropyro" I was surprised by his 40w laser! Well I'm going to start making small homemade lasers maybe around one watt :). Anyways I hope to learn a lot here about lasers
pointers.

Gabe

Hey welcome! From Canada here too, what province are you in? We seem to have similar interests and starting points. Have fun and learn lots!

Welcome! Styropyro is actually a member here.

Enjoy your stay! :D

gozert

Welcome! I wouldn't suggest building a 1W as your first laser, but something lower instead. 1W doesn't seem a lot of power for those who first enter the laser industry, but don't let the low number mislead you. I'd say you should get familiar with something in the range of 50mW first, and upgrade from there. At 50mW small mistakes won't immediately do permanent damage, at 1W they will.

Also check out the link in my signature. It's a compilation of many useful links for those who are just starting out.

Welcome to the forum.
You stated, " Well I'm going to start making small homemade lasers maybe around one watt" That is far from a small laser. Please be sure to read the safety threads/stickies first.
Remember to get proper safety laser goggles for the wavelength of your laser if it is over 5mW. Enjoy, have fun and most importantly be safe.
BTW, Please be sure to click on this link for a chance(s) to win a laser of your choice!! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/win-laser-forum-donations-fundraiser-contest-95194.html

OVNI

Welcome. I just bought 10 "JouleTheif" from someone in Greece off eBay. It's essentially a boost DC-DC converter but made w/o a large toroid. Are those your designs or are you into that hobby too?

Last edited: