Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, I'm Gun!

Gun

Hello Everyone,

So I've visited this forum a fair few times when googling laser related questions so I thought I may as well make an account!

A bit about me; I'm 14 years old and I'm from Australia. I was really interested in lasers about 2 years ago but I rapidly lost interest in lasers because of Australia's laser laws. Now I've learned that lab lasers are apparently legal in Australia (I think) so I might be getting some of them (if my parents let me)!

I'm still very interested in learning more about lasers, other than surfing this forum is there another good way to learn about lasers? Maybe like an online beginners guide or something?

So yeah, that's me. Have a good day :beer:

-Gun

Things

Welcome! Indeed it is quite interesting getting started in the laser hobby in Aus these days. Around 5 years ago when I first started (Was around 12 at that time) I was ordering 30mW+ green pointers from dealextreme every 2nd weekend. Good luck doing that anymore.

Anyway, best way to learn about lasers (and most things in life) is to experiment and read. Grab yourself a cheap laser diode (Like from a DVD burner, LPC-805 or equivalent are cheap, a good starting point and will give around 250-300mW). You'll learn how to build a driver (Or you could purchase a premade one, but you can use a simple LM317 driver too with parts you can get from Jaycar)

You can try googling around. Pretty much anything you need to know about lasers can be found here using the search bar. And if not just ask!

Welcome to LPF
Speedy

Gun

Thanks both of you :)

So Things, how do you get your lasers these days? Do you just build them? Also, do you have any specific tutorials that will help me build a laser with a diode from a DVD player?

Things

I don't really buy lasers much these days, and when I do, they're lab lasers for my projector, which are legal.

As for how to build a laser with a DVD burner diode, it's probably one of the most asked questions around here, a quick search should yield you everything you need to know, including how to DIY a driver, where to get the diodes, the diode pinout etc.

Gun

So lab lasers are definitely legal?

Should've tried that before I asked, thanks very much.

Last edited:
You shouldnt have any issue importing diodes/drivers ect. Just build your own. I recommend DTR for the majority of your diode needs. But starting small with an old dvd burner is a good learning experience.

Gun

If I can't find an old DVD burner lying around I guess I'll have to buy one. How do I know if the diode from my particular burner/DVD player will be suitable to build a laser? and how do I know what wavelength it is?

Things

Yes, lab lasers are 100% legal. Be careful if you try import ones designed to go into a pointer though, I've heard customs take a few of those, but the block shaped ones are fine. Diodes and all other parts to build them are also fine, just not a complete pointer.

Anyway, if you don't have any spare DVD burners, just look around the forums and eBay for diodes, you can get them for <$10.

Last edited:
You can do what I did and just test it out. I recommend a benchtop dc power supply to run it. The one I pulled apart had an ir diode and a red one. I belive they are 750nm and 650nm. If you buy a diode you will know what wavelength it is. DTR offers some with drivers attached. Makes it nice and easy. You can also buy low powered diodes from ebay. They should also say what wavelength it is.

Gun

Awesome.
Less than $10!?! That's good. Would you be able to link me to a video tutorial or thread showing how to build a laser? I want one with accurate information and you'd know better than me. Also how much would it cost in total to build the entire laser, not just the diode.

Start here

It all depends on what you go with. I have a 400$ + build on the way. But with the right host and driver ylu should be able to do it for under 100. If not cheaper.

Gun

Hmmm okay. Looking at this thread you gave me this laser building is serious stuff. It all seems pretty complicated to me :p Hopefully I can wrap my head around it soon enough.
I'm sort of wanting a laser soon so I might end up buying a labby before I actually build one myself. Things, where do you buy your lab lasers? I've already made a thread about this (link's in my siggy) but no one has replied as of yet. So yeah, who supplies your lab lasers?

Last edited:
Its all pretty simple once you start to understand whats going on. For the most part you have a battery or batteries powering a driver. Which drives your laser diode. All that is held in a host. Like a flashlight shell or something similar. Alot of members offer kits or almost conplete builds.

Things

I get mine directly through a manufacturer, but they're not cheap, they're designed for high hour, stable applications. It would help to know your budget, what colour you're after and your application, but for a start, once again, they can be found on eBay.