Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hello guys newbie here few ?'s

ok guys.....i love lasers but admittedly don't know much about them. i did a little reading here (great forum btw!) and learned my laser may not be the best quality. i have a wickedlasers green pen type laser that is approx 3 yrs old but usually works great. occasionally though it seems as though it has a bad connection somewhere because if i enscrew the batt. compartment a few times and replace , it seems to work well. sometimes it takes a few tries though...any ideas ?? also i THINK it's 125 mw if that helps.

also looking for a ( good quality)red handheld 250mw with heatsink that will need to be shipped to massachusetts, usa
would love some input on what's available to me!
thanks for your time in advance !!

D

Deleted member 8382

If screwing and unscrewing solves the problem it's more likely an oxidation problem, I'm sure someone will recommend you some treatment ;)

About the red laser, if 200mW is enough you can get one at O-like with batteries and charger for 40$~. If not then I'm sure you'll have some offers soon for a homemade LOC. Mohrenberg is a great source for inexpensive and great lasers, you might want to check this sale thread on the buy/sell section or in the "pro shop".

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Yours,
Albert

thanx for the info.

actually still undecided on power level....going to read more on this great forum which is highly informative !!

again thanx
charlie

vk2fro

Welcome to the forums Charlie

With your pointer its one of 2 things that are causing a problem.

Like hallucynagenyc said, it could be oxidation. For that, simply take a isopropyl wetted lint free cloth and clean the end cap. If that doesnt work, use some fine sand paper and roughen the inside of the cap. This will expose the metal from the crud and stop the problem. Metal tarnishes; so another option is some brasso on a cloth and clean the threads and the inside of the cap. Wipe it off quickly once your done.

The other problem could be a dry joint where the spring inside the pointer contacts the back of the first battery. This can only be solved by pulling the pointer completly to bits, and resoldering the spring to the driver PCB. I would leave this up to someone you trust from the forums (theres plenty here in my short existance!) to fix. Find someone in your local area on here who is proficient in pulling pointers to bits and fixing them. Dont ask me, I'm too heavy handed, thats why I stick to gassers and labby's :)

I've been made most welcome here; and I'm sure you will be too.

Cheers
Ben

Welcome! I'm new myself... well i've been reading here for quite some time, but just recently joined and started posting. This forum is by far my favorite. I have a similar problem with a supposed 200mw greenie that i got off amazon... the laser dimmed significantly after one day of use (and its not the batteries). I sent an email to the seller and they shipped me a new one free of charge (and so far it still works fine). I wont know the true output untill I purchase an LPM (which hopefully will be soon). If anyone has any tips on what i can do to fix the first one it would be much appriciated. When i shine it at my mirror about 10ft away and let it bounce back to the wall the dot is HUGE... did'nt do that before... :thinking:

Hello widow1369. Welcome to LPF. I hope you can fix your laser.:beer:

I hope all you new guys have proper EYE PROTECTION !?!?!?!?!............... rob

vk2fro

I wouldn't be without mine - my labby is extremely bright, and uncomfortable to glance it without the glasses. They will also suit my argon when it arrives.