Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello guys, long time lurker and a laser enthusiast here!

Ecobra

Hello everyone, I loved lasers since the day I got my first toy with a red laser diode in it, it was just amazing to have beam travel a long distance and produce the red dot on far away buildings and trees.

Anyway, I've lurked around this site for so long and viewed many threads about the types of lasers I wanted to know more about/build. I made a 500 mW IR laser with a LM317 driver a few weeks ago, which is also my profile pic. It's not portable and the heatsink is an obvious overkill, but I'm happy with it as it burns things and isn't bad for a first build. :D Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9vAB-ZHZlY&feature=youtu.be

Currently I'm gathering parts for a homemade CO2 laser, as I already have the glass tube, mirrors and a high voltage power supply, I just have to get or make a vacuum pump from somewhere. I'll create a thread if I successfully complete the build, when I get time for it.

Gazen

Welcome Ecobra,

I’m sure you already know these things, but make sure you have safety goggles for those ir lasers. Also make sure you utilize the search bar at the bottom of the page.

Stay safe and enjoy your time here

Welcome to the LPF. There is a lot of great information on how to build many different types of lasers. Be safe as you are building lasers that could easily blind you and because your new one is IR, it won't be as visible or visible at all depending on the wavelength you used.

Welcome to the LPF, Ecobra! It’s great to hear that you no longer feel like lingering. As you’ve probably seen, we’re a collegial community of nice and knowledgeable people who are happy to listen and to help whenever possible. There are a number of members who are familiar with building and maintaining IR lasers. You may use our extensive database for information about all things laser. Safety is always the chief concern and please remember to always protect yourself and others. Proper eye protection is a must, and never point a laser at any living thing. Have fun but please always be laser safe. Thanks and Take Care. :D

-cd

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
An old compressor from an air conditioner or 'fridge can be used as a vacuum pump in a pinch. Not the best vacuum pump, but it will go low enough for a CO2 plasma tube.

Welcome to the Forum...
I hope you were wearing Laser Safety
Goggles/Glasses while using your IR
Laser.
BTW... I don't particularly like your Beam
Stop.:undecided:

Enjoy your stay.

Jerry

Ecobra

Thanks everyone for the replies. :yh: Yes, I do use eye protection and usually I never look at the dot directly, only through a phone camera.

BTW... I don't particularly like your Beam
Stop.

Yeah, it's not that impressive, I know!