Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Tenn.

Ceefuhs

I found this forum after I purchased a Star Trek phaser with a laser diode in it. I wanted to find out more about it and maybe learn how to build one myself. After I started reading here all I can say is Sheesh I have a lot to learn!! I am looking forward to it.

Seth

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Seth, you've come to the right place to learn! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Glad you're here :) If you've poked around some, you've probably picked up on the push for safety at all times when dealing with lasers. That being said, do enjoy your time here and if you can't find the answer after searching - don't be afraid to ask. Lots of helpful, smart people around.

Take care!

Welcome to the LPF, Seth. It is always nice to see someone making an introduction post with their first post. It seems to happen rarely any more. Yes, there is much technology involved with lasers and laser diodes. If you weren't already involved with lasers it can all seem like a new language. We are all here to help if you get stuck trying to learn something specific about laser technology.

Hi,
There is a member here that has 3 phasers for sale but has not posted them yet I think.

Rich:)

Reactions: GSS

Ceefuhs

My washing machine looked like the Klingon for a second, had to die!

(If this needs to go somewhere else please let me know)
Phaser.jpg

Nice. Looks like a 532nm DPSS laser module put inside the toy gun along with a switch and battery. Most of those are low power, under 150 mW. It is difficult to say from your photo as it looks like you took it in the dark.

Ceefuhs

I was in the dark as the beam is hardly visible in the light. The driver is marked SD-10050 if that points to anything. Is is powered by two AAA in series.

That doesn't tell me anything about your module, but I have worked with many of these modules and all of those work best with a single Li-ion battery. Since the pump diode is higher power than the 532nm beam, you might be able to get better output and run times using a Lipo over two AAA batteries. Often the driver has a pot on it to set the pump diode's current and you can increase the power of your laser by increasing the pump current. If you do, I would heat sink the driver output transistor and add a heat sink for the module too. If you have any questions, just ask.

Ceefuhs

Here is the driver. I believe that is hot glue on it. I believe the pot can be seen in the upper right correct. Do you think the transistor is on the other side? Which battery would you recommend? I realize it this goes boom it is all in me as there are many factors invo!ved : )

driver.jpg

Last edited:
That is the pump current adjustment pot in your photo. The driver output transistor is on the other side. Why all the hot glue? You will need to get the driver loose and once you heat sink the output and reset the current, you will want it put back with the pot against the case because the heat sink needs to be close to air to release heat from it. I have used 18650 batteries with these builds in the past, but any Lipo battery that will fit should work.

Ceefuhs

I purchased this off of someone so I am not sure about the glue and will look into an 18650, thanks. After I reverse it and attach the heat sink to the other side how would you advise securing it inside the phaser housing? I was going to say " Inside the host " but didn't want to sound like I was trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about. : )

Thanks for all the help!!!

There are these tiny aluminum heat sinks that you can get on Amazon. I haven't seen them anywhere else lately, but they are about 6-7 mm on one side with fins in the top. They come 20 pieces to a package and have a peel and stick adhesive. I scrape that off and use Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive to secure them to the output transistor. After you get the old glue off of the driver board I would use something to stand off the board from the host's inside plastic part. Maybe a couple of plastic posts that you can glue using the glue sparingly. If you don't have an LPM you can likely figure out which way to turn the pot to increase the pump current by looking at it turn most the way one way, then most the way the other way. One will be brighter and that is the direction to turn the pump current up. You should try this with a fully charged battery, but it doesn't have to be an 18650. Most any battery that will fit should work.