Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Los Angeles!

User-name-required

Currently living in Los Angeles, CA.
A fan of lasers since childhood because of sci-fi movies. Saw my first laser in the very early 80s at school. A massive “laser pointer” in a massive box. It was magic. Then, hand held laser pointers appeared and became affordable. And I was hooked. Then the internet, as it did for many, changed everything! First I found some instructions on how to put together a rather large board with a diode, power supply, and knob to adjust power. Didn’t know about focusing lenses, amongst other things, so the promised “burning power” never happened. Then I found the 303s and their anything but, 5mw power, and finally had something that could burn and pop balloons. Not that it’s the only thing I look for in lasers... But when the starting point of your obsession is “Star Wars”, you do want to experience handling a laser that could knock down a Stormtrooper 😁.
Followed this with decent eye protection and a more powerful laser, I’m guessing around 1W, based on everything I read. It was an Amazon purchase, and not too shabby for the price.
So here I am... Been checking out the site, reading posts, trying to learn all I can about lasers, wavelengths, safety, etc.
Although I believe there are no dumb questions, (ok, there are some dumb questions. But you know what I mean ;) I wanted to be as informed as possible so that I can avoid, as much as possible asking questions that have been answered 100 times already.
So, after reading about all the companies, and people’s experiences, I got myself some real eye protection (Eaglepair, OD6 from SurvivallasersUSA.com) and placed an order with Sanwu Lasers for a 470nm, 5W Striker Saber series with beam expander. Really, really looking forward to it.
It’s only been a couple of weeks since I placed the order, but with the current health crisis in China, and around the globe, I just hope the Sanwu people, who I found to be extremely active and friendly on the LPF, and amazing at answering questions in detail on the Sanwu website, are doing ok.
Lasers can wait.
I also look forward to making friends in the LPF, and maybe connect, if possible with people in the Los Angeles area, from whom I can learn even more about lasers, laser mods, and finally, putting one together properly.

Andy
(Apologies for turning a simple introduction, into a short story. Got a little too much into it. :D )

Reactions: GSS

Welcome to the LPF, Andy. I saw my first laser in 1965. It was a military ruby laser that popped a huge blue balloon across an auditorium stage. After college I got my first HeNe laser in 1980 for holography. Enjoy your stay and stay safe.

User-name-required

Welcome to the LPF, Andy. I saw my first laser in 1965. It was a military ruby laser that popped a huge blue balloon across an auditorium stage. After college I got my first HeNe laser in 1980 for holography. Enjoy your stay and stay safe.

Thank you!
I figure I was in 7th grade when I saw my first laser. That would’ve made it 1983-1984. It was definitely an oversized laser pointer with not much power, but considering That at the time, I was living in Bolivia, one of the poorest countries in South America, I was lucky my school was able to even get that much of a laser!

Snecho

HA! You think you turned your intro into a "short story"? Click my Challenger Approaches link 🤣

Welcome my man

User-name-required

HA! You think you turned your intro into a "short story"? Click my Challenger Approaches link 🤣

Welcome my man
I tried to find the link, but sadly I’m still trying to figure out how to navigate the LPF waters. So no luck! 🤯😵