Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Australia!

Hello all! I am from Sydney and recently started a PhD degree here at Sydney Uni. My research topic is focused around inter-satellite laser communication. As such, I'm particularly interested in digital communication and data transmission using lasers.

I prefer not to disclose my real name in an online forum, but you can call me Trobby.

Coming out of an undergraduate aerospace degree, I have almost no previous experience with laser stuff. Well, I have used laser pointers in presentations, but that involves nothing more than pushing a button to turn it on. I've spend the last 2 or so months doing a lot of research into laser communications and relevant scientific journals, but I'm well aware that there's still a lot to learn.

Anyways, my current focus is to try and develop a miniaturized laser communication system which can be easily integrated into any type of nano/micro satellite. Since I'm new to laser communications, I'm not entirely sure of realistic design values my comm system should take. But for the time being, I've set a goal to achieve a 100 Mb/s with total power consumption under 1W and gross weight of transceiver under 1Kg.

The reason I joined this forum is because I came across this forum quite frequently while doing Google searches about my research topic. I was thinking maybe I may make the best out this place by actually joining rather than just passively dropping by from Google search results.

I'll leave my specific technical questions into different threads which will come at a later time. But for now, I just wanted to say hi :D:D:D

Last edited:

Welcome Trobby, glad to have another Aussie join us here. There is much to learn here and the LPF Search button will help you as I am sure many community members are willing to help where they can. Looking forward to your input on some digital communication and data transmission projects using Lasers and "Stuff" that the "Layman" might get his hands on???
Cheers for now.:beer:

G'day Trobby,

Welcome to the forum... Looks like you may have come to the right place.

If you need a hand with anything feel free to drop me a PM I'm sure I can help you out.

-Adrian

XD001

Hi Trobby! You'll love LPF, I have only been a member here for almost 2 months, but anyways, yeah! LPF (laserpointerforums) is great! If you are ever interested in buying lasers be sure to check out the "Buy, Sell, & Trade" section, if you need help (like bob said) I am sure members will gladly help you, anyways, you'll enjoy it here as long as your active ;-)

Trobby, LPF is a magical place.. :p I would say it's THE best forum I have experienced.

-Lucas

Last edited:
Hello Trobby, I believe lasers will in the near future be used more and more for communications with satellites and spacecraft. Its nice to see you join LPF, we can always use more scientists and engineers to contribute to the forums. Welcome.

Alan