Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Australia

Hello to all and thank you for the Forum.

I have been playing with low power lasers since I was young. The Early 1mw 670nm Red lasers were not much to look at, But wow, It was a Laser !

Then the 635nm Red came out and it was much brighter for the same 1mw Power.

Green lasers came much later. Took many years for the price to become reasonable. My First was a 5mw Pointer. Green is amazing. Next was a Potted 15mw Green.

Things went quiet for a couple of years. Then higher power became more affordable.

My first Higher power was a 25mw 635 nm.

Now I have some new ones recently.

Several 50mw 532nm removed from Disco Light shows. 100mw 635nm also from Disco light shows.

Because of the laws in Australia it has made it difficult to source higher power lasers.

Recently I was able to remove the 405nm Diode from a Bluray Player. Only a toy but my first view of this wavelength laser. Very close to Ultra Violet and it does make some nice fluorescence. Even at 20 mw it's nice.

I made my first LPM from a Silicon Photo diode and calibrated it from the 25mw Red which came with a calibration certificate. It works from .01 to 30mw.

I am now starting to build a higher power meter based on temperature rise of a small aluminium plate painted with flat black. Loosly based on the design that uses Diodes to measure temperature. But I am using LM335 Temp IC's.

I am amazed at the Power now available in 445nm Diodes. That is my next project.

I destroyed the 808nm Diode in one of my Green ones and was able to buy a new 300mw 808nm Diode and got it working again. That was a thrill to replace the diode in a DPSS laser and fix it. Even managed to tune the optics and got a good beam back.

Better stop now and start reading.

Charles

Last edited:

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to get some Laser Safety Glasses, and the search function here can be your best friend; don't forget to read the Stickies.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

33 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

It looks like you know a bit about Lasers already...
There are several DIY LPM projects on the Forum to
help you along...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to get some Laser Safety Glasses, and the search function here can be your best friend; don't forget to read the Stickies.

Thank you for your Advice.

I have already Ordered a Pair of Blue/Green safety Glasses. I didn't mind Playing with 50-100 mw without them. But these 445nm are so powerfull I know I would be stupid not to have glasses.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Charles!

Another Aussie!! YAY!

Where are you from? I'm from Sydney myself.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I also do custom machining if you ever need something made up!

Hope you can stick around with us for a while!

-Adrian

vk2fro

Hey welcome - another Aussie like Bobhaha said!

Wait till the bug really hits and you get wind.... or more to the point, GAS - I've just bought a 160mw multiline argon.

Good thing on getting the glasses. I've just sold my 1W 445, and am supplying the glasses with it, so will need to get another pair before I build another 445 and the argon arrives.

I'm in Sydney as well - theres a few of us up here!

Cheers
Ben

Wow, I am also in Sydney.

Small world.

I have been tinkering with lasers for years..... When did the diodes get so powerfull :)

I am Electrical/Mechanical etc trade. I started making a heasink at work tonight for a 455nm diode module. Very handy to have machinings toos available.

Great to see local people on here.

Charles

Last edited:

vk2fro

Awesome - you should go to the 445 subforum and show pictures of your build as you are progressing from scratch. You may even have members wanting one.

Also pop into your user CP and update where you are so others can see you live in the land with the slowest most unreliable rail network (but plenty of laserists!)

That's awesome Charles! We should do a laser meet up one day.

Have fun, play safe and please wear your appropriate laser safety glasses while using such a powerful diode!

-Adrian

Now that more powerfull diodes are cheap enough to buy safety is becoming VERY important.

I have been very carefull with 50-100mw. But with 445nm at 1200mw even the slightest mistake could be blinding.

I like Green the best. It's so easy to see any reflected light. But I am not going to take any chances with 1200mw. Eye's are not replacable. Wouldnt mind to much if I cut me finger off with it though :)

Charles

Last edited:

vk2fro

Agree on the AusLem - gimme time to get my projector working tho :p