Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from a programmer

Hello everybody.
I am an experienced programmer where I am trying to build a sophisticated autopilot solution for rc airplanes to be used in rescue and long distance missions.

I am trying to implement new guiding and controlling options for controlling the plane, by thermal detection where I prepared all the requisites in the plane, and I am now searching for good heater to complete the job; and after a long research on the net, I see that the laser could help me in that, for this I am here to ask few questions about this new world for me (your toy :beer:) before starting burning my brain in learning it.

1- Can I build laser with long distance heat capability? (About 1km or 250 meter, like the burner modifications u did but with long distance).
2- Can this laser being invisible and only its point at the target is the visible?

Thx for your valuable answers in advanced.

the answer is a big fat maybe. here are some limiting factors:

size of rc plane and payload
power source for laser
money.
optics, which also equals money.

also welcome to the forum. there more knowledgable people here than me. so wait for more answers to roll in

michael

I am talking about rc with 6 kgs payload capability.
source of power is not a problem as the laser could be in the ground, so no problem for this.

All the problem is the limitation of laser and if can solve my needs presented in the 2 questions above.

Thx for ur pass and welcoming.

So you need a laser to heat a target at 250-1,000m so your RC plane can lock onto it and go there? You're not going to be heating stuff up that far away without a) an incredibly powerful multi-watt laser and b) a beam expander. Both of which are going to be very expensive.

So, are you telling me "prototyope" that this is impossible and laser can't help me in that?
What about if not invisible? does this is applicable?
and what budget are u talking about?

Toaster: Do you know some diodes?

Well it's possible, just not easy. You'd need a CO2 laser and power supply and a ZnSe beam expander, and even then it probably wouldn't work....

Things

Diodes would be out of the question for this, their divergence at higher powers is horrible.

Even CO2 lasers would struggle to do that kind of distance and keep a tight beam.

That and any obstacles in your way will most likely catch fire.

SOrry I didnt know that diodes would have a divergence issue Good luck though

after reading more.. it seems like you want a military style set up where an object is lased from a distance and a plane has sensors that can see the lased target. if this is so, you do not need to "heat" the object. so you can cut down the amount of power you need by alot. but you will still want good optics to have nice dot at a distance

Trevor

If you want autopilot, a GPS-based system will be likely cheaper, safer, and easier to incorporate into an RC aircraft.

-Trevor

twhite828: I know sir, and I already did that, but I am building new algorithm, especially in case if gps is not found in an area.

chipdouglas:
You are totally right, but I need the heet, as my new algorithm is based on thermal detection not light dedtection.

Prototype:
Do u nkow any references or projects?

Things:
What are the maximum of diodes?