Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello fro Northern Ireland

Surgy

Hi from Northern Ireland. I joined the forum as I am looking to buy a laser to kill pest anemones in my reef aquarium. Was looking at some on ebay and some from sanwu after searching on here.

Hi welcome to LPF
I have built many for that reason. And my findings due to my experience with customers owning saltwater tanks.
3w would be a minimum power, 4 and 5w are more reasonable in controlling parasites.
Hope this will help you in your decisions
Rich:)

Surgy

Hi welcome to LPF
I have built many for that reason. And my findings due to my experience with customers owning saltwater tanks.
3w would be a minimum power, 4 and 5w are more reasonable in controlling parasites.
Hope this will help you in your decisions
Thanks Rich. Would Sanwu be the best place to purchase one? It's so hard finding a suitable laser. Searched ebay but don't know if I trust the sellers. This one claims to be 5W

Was considering the 7W striker from Sanwu as there's not much difference in price from the 5W. Would be good if I could find a good supplier and laser to help others out as it's been a headache searching through lasers.

Hi
Ok Sanwu would be your best bet for dependable units
eBay sellers are mostly ripoffs and won’t stand behind their product
Go fo a Sanwu unit

Welcome to the LPF. Yes, we have had several threads on killing parasites on coral in salt water tanks here over the years. Seems like most were about killing specific parasites as opposed to just killing unspecified ones, though.

Surgy

Welcome to the LPF. Yes, we have had several threads on killing parasites on coral in salt water tanks here over the years. Seems like most were about killing specific parasites as opposed to just killing unspecified ones, though.
It's just aiptasia anemones I'm look to kill.

Huh. I never thought it would be an anemone. I would think you could cull those more easily by hand. But, salt water tanks aren't my area of expertise.

Surgy

Huh. I never thought it would be an anemone. I would think you could cull those more easily by hand. But, salt water tanks aren't my area of expertise.
Tried different things to kill them but the liquid sold to kill them just seems to have the effect of temporarily making them disappear then spores spread and loads more appear. Thought a powerful laser would completely fry them.

Is it out of the question to remove them all by hand? No anemones, no spores. Unless you are able to fry the entire organism I don't see it not spreading spores. It may do this during the act of frying them. IDK. If you simply remove them, that would likely cure the problem once and for all.

Surgy

Is it out of the question to remove them all by hand? No anemones, no spores. Unless you are able to fry the entire organism I don't see it not spreading spores. It may do this during the act of frying them. IDK. If you simply remove them, that would likely cure the problem once and for all.
Unfortunately they just disappear to nothing when you go anywhere near them. There are predators that will eat them but may turn on expensive corals. Last time I bought the coral safe ones they just vanished.

We had a member here, grainde, that built high power pointers in great hosts made by another member here, sinner. Grainde is in France, but hasn't been active lately. I suppose you could try to contact him through the private message option here. Shipping would likely be less and his work is impeccable.

Take it you don't build and post any to the UK?

Hi Surey,
I really don't like shipping full builds abroad due to customs laws and seizures . Like Paul said those two members aren't active any more for a while now. But you can give it a shot. Another way is to look over the Sanwu laser website they build fine lasers and many members here have felt with them . Sorry I couldn't help you .

Surgy

Hi Surey,
I really don't like shipping full builds abroad due to customs laws and seizures . Like Paul said those two members aren't active any more for a while now. But you can give it a shot. Another way is to look over the Sanwu laser website they build fine lasers and many members here have felt with them . Sorry I couldn't help you .

Do you think the challenger 2 3W 445nm would be good enough for my purposes? That's what they recommended at first. Then I was thinking the striker 7w 445nm, but it's not cheap and maybe overkill?
Thanks.

Hi,
Sanwu is usually on the money with their wattage ratings for their lasers. 3w's could do the job the only reason I said over 3w"s is because of my dealings with those who purchased lasers from me to do this job on the critters