Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, fellow laser enthusiasts

My name is Katherine. I've joined this forum because I figured a website entitled "laserpointerforums" would be the exact place I could go to not get made fun of for thinking that lasers are the coolest thing, and that I want to collect them.

I bought a Spyder III Arctic 2w+ from Wicked Lasers not so long ago, and I really like it. It seems that Wicked Lasers has stepped up their game since the fiasco in 2010.

My laser peaks at ~2.4W, and has a nominal output of 2.375W.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers as to what to do with it; as I'm rather wary of pointing it at stars, lest I get accused of attempting to lase an aircraft.

Tmack

Welcome If you're careful with your star pointing you'll be fine. Some of the guys here set up absolutely beautiful photo shoots for their lasers using interesting optics and splitters. Though you have a very strong laser for that. I personally love to go out early morning to watch the beams on my big mw lasers.

Thank you, I guess, here's some rep in return for being kind to me for no reason :D

Hey so, how much of a bad idea is this:
Build a cutting laser from an old PC

I very much want to construct my own laser systems; I think it'll be more rewarding and fun to build them from parts rather than buy pre-assembled laser devices on the internet. I have all the stuff needed to build the thing shown in this article, and the electrical knowledge required not to seriously injure myself or anyone else in the process.

Also, is a 520nm diode worth it? I love that shade of green.

Tmack

The 520 are definitely a great color. Worth it? I think 99percent of us would say hell yes. And the cutting laser I'd a fun project. Drake is actually a member here. I would rather have the 500mw red diode from dtr. The power from the dvd writers is ok, but not very high for burning as well as your arctic. Check out dtr laser shop if you haven't already. All kinds of goodies to have fun with. My first build / half of, was a dvd writer and it turned out the diode was damaged either from me, or the improper storage of the junk computer. Now I'd much rather know what I'm getting and go with dtr. A trusted member, and the go to guy for parts

Last edited:
Hi Kat, welcome to LPF! Do you know the laser safety rules & need for safety goggles?

Well, yes, I can summarize them for you now.

Do Not endanger yourself or anyone else in any way when operating a laser device. This means not to point it at people, animals, vehicles, aircraft or one's self.

Do not view the beam or endpoint without properly rated optical density safety goggles.

Do not leave the diode's power source connected to the rest of the system when the laser is not in operation.

Do not operate the laser near reflective surfaces unless that's part of a controlled experiment.

When using a laser that can start small fires (or large ones), do not allow any flammable materials to be exposed to the beam, and keep fire suppression equipment nearby at all times.

Treat every laser as though it is class IV, just as a person should treat every gun, crossbow, softair gun or BB gun as though it is loaded with the safety off, never pointing it at anything one does not intend to expose to laser radiation.

Tmack

Fifth post? Many newbie could take a lesson here.